Spivak's Calculus - Capital-Pi/Function Proof

In summary: f1(x) = (x-1)(x-3)(x-4)/(-1)(-3)(-4)f2(x) = (x)(x-3)(x-4)/(1)(-2)(-3)f3(x) = (x)(x-1)(x-4)/(3)(3-1)(3-4)f4(x) = (x)(x-1)(x-3)/(4)(4-1)(4-3)
Fllorv

Homework Statement

If [itex]x_1,...,x_n[/itex] are distinct numbers, find a polynomial function [itex]f_i[/itex] of degree [itex]n-1[/itex] which is ##1## at [itex]x_i[/itex] and ##0## at [itex]x_j[/itex] for [itex]j=/=i.[/itex] (This product is usually denoted by [see below] the symbol Capital Pi playing the same role for products that Capital Sigma plays for sums.)

Homework Equations

##n##
[itex]\prod(x-x_j)[/itex]
[itex]j=1[/itex]
[itex]j=/=i[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question out of Spivak's Calculus (particularly Chapter Three, Question Six). I've looked in the answer book, and he comes to the conclusion that
[itex]f_i (x) =[/itex]
##n##
[itex]\prod(x-x_j)[/itex]
j=1
j=/=i
##divided## ##by##
##n##
[itex]\prod(x_i - x_j)[/itex]
j=1
j=/=i
But I'm not satisfied with this answer alone
I'm almost positive that I'm over-complicating this problem, so I need help simplifying it.
-- I'm not sure why the function needs to be subscripted as [itex]f_i[/itex]
-- I'm not sure where the un-subscripted ##x## comes from in the Pi equation; does it rely on anything, or it just any random number?
-- What CAN [itex]x_j[/itex] and [itex]x_i[/itex] equal? Anything that equals 1 and 0 respectively (in the function)?
-- What does it mean that ##j=1## , does it mean that it is the first number in the previously mentioned series?
I suppose I have more questions, but I've confused myself and really need help being walked through it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is nearly unintelligible, but I think you are talking about
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LagrangeInterpolatingPolynomial.html

-- I'm not sure why the function needs to be subscripted as fi
You are not finding a function, but n functions hence the subscript
-- I'm not sure where the un-subscripted x comes from in the Pi equation; does it rely on anything, or it just any random number?
x is the variable we are finding functions, not numbers
-- What CAN xj and xi equal? Anything that equals 1 and 0 respectively (in the function)?
the xi are distinct numbers
-- What does it mean that j=1 , does it mean that it is the first number in the previously mentioned series?
x1 is the first number, though it does not say the numbers are in order, it would not matter.

Maybe you will understand the general case if you do one specific example
find 4 cubic polynomials f1,f2,f3,f4 such that
f1(0)=1
f1(0)=0
f1(0)=0
f1(0)=0
f2(1)=0
f2(1)=1
f2(1)=0
f2(1)=0
f3(3)=0
f3(3)=0
f3(3)=1
f3(3)=0
f4(4)=0
f4(4)=0
f4(4)=0
f4(4)=1

expressed more briefly as
fi(xj)=δij
where i,j=1,2,3,4
(x1,x2,x3,x4)=(0,1,3,4)
and
δij=1 when i=j
δij=0 otherwise

1. What is Spivak's Calculus and why is it important?

Spivak's Calculus is a rigorous and comprehensive textbook on single-variable calculus. It is important because it provides a strong foundation for understanding advanced mathematical concepts and is often used as a standard reference for mathematics courses.

2. What is the Capital-Pi/Function Proof in Spivak's Calculus?

The Capital-Pi/Function Proof is a method of proving mathematical statements using the concept of limits. It involves taking a sequence of approximations and showing that the limit of these approximations equals the desired result.

3. Is Spivak's Calculus suitable for beginners?

No, Spivak's Calculus is not recommended for beginners as it assumes a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts and requires a high level of mathematical maturity.

4. How is Spivak's Calculus different from other calculus textbooks?

Spivak's Calculus is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to teaching calculus. It focuses on developing mathematical reasoning skills and introduces advanced concepts such as the epsilon-delta and the Riemann integral early on.

5. Can Spivak's Calculus be used as a preparation for advanced mathematics courses?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus is widely used as a preparation for advanced mathematics courses such as real analysis and abstract algebra. It provides a solid understanding of single-variable calculus, which is essential for tackling more advanced mathematical concepts.