Splitting Field Proof for f(x) = x^3-5: Vector Space Basis B for K over Q

In summary, the given basis B is a vector space basis for the splitting field K over Q, as it contains all necessary elements such as 5^{1/3} and \omega. By adjoining 5^{1/3} and using the polynomial x^2 + x + 1, we can obtain elements such as \omega ^2 and \omega ^2 5^{1/3} which are also part of the basis B'. Overall, the dimension of K over Q can be determined and the elements of B and B' can be shown to be linearly independent over Q.
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

Consider [tex] f(x) = x^3-5 [/tex]
and its splitting field [tex] K = Q(5^{1/3}, \omega) [/tex]
where [tex] \omega = e^{2 \pi i/3} [/tex]
Show that [tex] B = \{1, 5^{1/3}, 5^{2/3}, \omega, \omega 5^{1/3} , \omega 5^{2/3} \} [/tex]
is a vector space basis for K over Q.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just a bit confused. Since [tex] 5^{1/3} [/tex] and [tex] \omega [/tex] are in K, and K is a field, then [tex] B'= \{ \omega ^2, \omega ^2 5^{1/3}, \omega ^2 5^{2/3} \} \subseteq K [/tex]
But how can we get any of these elements using only the shown basis B with scalars in Q? I would think that B+B' would be the vector space basis.

Physics news on Phys.org
try building up K in 2 steps:

first adjoin 51/3. what is [Q(51/3):Q]?

what does a basis of E = Q(51/3) over Q look like?

now K = E(ω). what is [K:E]? what is a basis for K over E?

if dimQ(E) = m, and dimE(K) = n,

what must dimQ(K) be?

this tells you how many basis elements you have to have.

then it's just a matter of proving linear independence over Q.

as for how we get the elements of B', i'll show you for ω2:

ω satisfies the polynomial x2 + x + 1 = (x3 - 1)/(x - 1).

so ω2 = (-1)1 + (-1)ω, see?

Yes, thanks so much I was confusing myself.

1. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension of a given field that contains all of the roots of a given polynomial. It is the smallest field extension that contains all of the roots of the polynomial.

2. How do you prove that a field is a splitting field?

To prove that a field is a splitting field, you must show that it contains all of the roots of the given polynomial and that it is the smallest field extension that contains those roots. This can often be done using algebraic techniques and properties of field extensions.

3. Why is a splitting field important?

A splitting field is important because it allows us to fully factorize polynomials over a given field. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry.

4. Can a polynomial have multiple splitting fields?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple splitting fields. This can happen when the polynomial has multiple irreducible factors. Each splitting field of the polynomial will contain all of the roots of the polynomial, but they may differ in their structure and properties.

5. How is a splitting field related to Galois theory?

A splitting field is closely related to Galois theory, as it is the field extension that corresponds to a given group of automorphisms. This relationship allows us to use Galois theory to study the properties of splitting fields and vice versa.