Spontaneous fission rate to half-life equivalence

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
clynne21
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The spontaneous fission rate for U-238 is roughly 1 fission per gram per 100 seconds. Show that this rate is the equivalent to a half-life for spontaneous fission of ~5.5x1015 years

Homework Equations


none that I can find in my book


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm thinking this is just basically a conversion of units problem, but want to check that with someone else. Not entirely sure where I would start so any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. How many U-238 atoms are there in 1 gram?
2. If one of them decays every 100 seconds, how long will you have to wait until half of them have decayed?
 
thank you- knew it had to be fairly simple- just overthinking it!