Spontaneous symmetry breaking in the standard model

1. In the standard model, the Lagrangian contains scalar and spinor and vector fields. But when we consider spontaneous symmetry breaking, we only account for the terms contain only scalar fields, " the scalar potential", in the Lagrangian. And if the scalar fields have vacuum expectation value, then we recognize the symmetry is broken spontaneously. Why don't we have to contain spinors and vectors? I think it's related to Lorentz invariance.

2. jcsd
  3. Bill_K

Bill_K 4,159
    Science Advisor

If a spinor or vector had a nonzero expectation value, it would single out a preferred direction. The vacuum state must be rotationally invariant (Lorentz invariant too) so this is not possible.

4. Thank you, Bill_K.
    Could you explan more formally or mathematically by using language of quantum theory?
    I would like to proof [itex] \langle 0|\psi_\alpha|0\rangle=0[/itex] from Lorentz invariance of the vacuum. Your explanation seems that the vacuum expectation vales is supposed to be Lorentz invariant but I think Lorentz invariance means [itex] U^\dagger(\Lambda)|0\rangle=|0\rangle[/itex].

And another question occurred. Your explanation seems that the propagator, the vacuum expectation value of two point function also vanishes. Why propagators don't vanish even if they have Lorentz indices or spinor indices?

5. samalkhaiat

samalkhaiat 1,099
    Science Advisor

See post#35 in
    www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172461

Sam

6. Bill_K

Bill_K 4,159
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted