Spousal Name Change: We Didn't Do it

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, a spousal name change is when one spouse takes on the last name of the other spouse after marriage. This can involve changing one's legal name and name on official documents and accounts. Some couples may choose not to change their names after marriage for personal or professional reasons. The legal steps for a spousal name change vary but generally involve obtaining a marriage certificate and submitting a name change form to the relevant government agency. In most cases, a spouse cannot change their name to anything they want and there are regulations in place to prevent fraud. Alternatives to spousal name changes include hyphenating both last names, creating a new last name, or keeping each spouse's original last name. Ultimately, the decision should be

Did you or your spouse change names upon marriage?

• Total voters
Jimmy Snyder
Did you or your spouse change names upon marriage? We didn't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spouse?

I'm still looking (hunting) for one

As mentioned in your 'Anniversary' thread, W and I aren't actually married. I cannot, therefore, vote in this.
I'd never ask a woman to change her name. My thinking was that we'd keep our own, and hyphenate the name of offspring (my last name first for a boy, and hers first for a girl). Since W was menopausal when we met, that idea is pretty much out the window.

Related to Spousal Name Change: We Didn't Do it

What is a spousal name change?

A spousal name change is when one spouse takes on the last name of the other spouse after marriage. This is a common practice in many cultures and can involve changing one's legal name, as well as their name on official documents and accounts.

Why do some couples choose not to change their names after marriage?

There are many reasons why a couple may choose not to change their names after marriage. Some may have personal or professional reasons for wanting to keep their own last name, while others may simply prefer the convenience of not having to change their name on all of their legal documents and accounts.

What are the legal steps involved in a spousal name change?

The legal steps involved in a spousal name change may vary depending on the country or state where the couple resides. Generally, it involves obtaining a marriage certificate, filling out a name change form, and submitting the necessary documents to the relevant government agency. It is important to research and follow the specific requirements of your location to ensure a smooth and legal name change process.

Can a spouse change their name to anything they want?

In most cases, a spouse cannot change their name to anything they want. There are laws and regulations in place that prohibit certain names or require a certain process to be followed when changing one's name. Additionally, a spouse cannot change their name to something that would be considered fraudulent or misleading.

What are some alternatives to spousal name changes?

There are many alternatives to spousal name changes, such as hyphenating both last names, creating a new last name, or keeping each spouse's original last name. Some couples may also choose to use both last names, with or without a hyphen, or use one last name as a middle name. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what works best for the couple and their personal preferences.