1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring amplitude problem

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    I attach a 2 kg block to a spring that obeys Hooke's Law and supply 16 J of energy to stretch the spring. I release the block; it oscillates with period .3 s. The amplitude is:

* 38 cm
    * 19 cm
    * 9.5 cm
    * 4.3 cm

Can anybody help me with this? I can't figure out what to do or where to start. It seems so easy, but I can't get it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    Re: Amplitude

Do you recall seeing an eqn T=2*pi*sqrt[k/m] . I think that is it. So solve for K by squaring both sides. Recall that energy is 1/2 k x^2 and is equal to 16J. Solve for x. This will be the initial stretch. In SHM, this constant represents 1/2 amplitude.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Could you list the spring formulas you have to work with? There should be one with force, one with energy and one with period or frequency.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

To Denverdoc: Yes, but on my notes, I have:

T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]*[tex]\sqrt{}m/k[/tex]

To Delphi51: I will list the ones I see here with me.

Potential Energy: Usp = 1/2(k)(xs)2
    (k is spring constant, xs is compression/extension of spring from relaxed position)

Fs = -kxs

Wby sp = 1/2(k)(xs,i)2 - 1/2(k)(xs,f)2

Those are the only ones I see at the moment.

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5

Yes you're right I forgot to flip it in going from w to T. So you have enough to solve it. Just follow the instructions in my last post.

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6

It's all good. I do have a question: You said in your last post that to solve for K, I had to square both sides. It seems to me that I have to do much more than that. Am I right?

8. Dec 6, 2009 #7

Sure, there is some simple algebra as well. Remember that is to just get K. You still have the other things to do as outlined in my post.

9. Dec 7, 2009 #8

Well, when solving for k, I got:

k = m/(t/2[tex]\pi[/tex])2

is that right?

10. Dec 7, 2009 #9

Yes (but by convention capital T is used for the period to avoid confusion with time.)

11. Dec 7, 2009 #10

He's right make sure T=t in your terms or you could end up with anything.

12. Dec 7, 2009 #11

Exactly right.

13. Dec 7, 2009 #12

Yeah, I just missed hitting the shift key when typing, or I typed it too fast. I do know the difference, and wouldn't get confused.

Well, I did that and got

k = 2 kg/(.3 s/2[tex]\pi[/tex])2
    = 9.006

14. Dec 7, 2009 #13

Very well. I like that it is round. Now it's perfectly ok to go back and reread my earlier posts as to how to proceed, remember we are looking for x, the initial displacement which is 1/2A.

15. Dec 7, 2009 #14

Again he's right more mistakes come from mixing up terms than everything else.

[tex]a\neq{x}[/itex]

[tex]c\neq{C}[/itex]

And so on.

Looks good to me?

What expectation value were you expecting for k?

16. Dec 7, 2009 #15

Okay. Now I solved for x:

E = 1/2(k)(x)2
    16 J = 1/2(9.006)(x)2

x = [tex]\sqrt{}(32 J/9.006)[/tex]
    = 1.885

17. Dec 7, 2009 #16

So that means that 2x is my amplitude? so all I need to do is double my x and get my final amplitude value?

18. Dec 7, 2009 #17

Indeed. Sounds like you have this all figured out gj.

19. Dec 7, 2009 #18

If the question is looking for peak to peak amplitude, yes. Remember your cos or sin function will vary between 1 and -1.

The initial displacement becomes the A on the outside of the SHM type of eqns you have been writing this weekend. Since it is simple harmonic motion, the initial displacement determines the subsequent behavior. Had we stretched the string more initially, the A would be different. Imagine a pendulum. If there is no friction, the ball swings back and forth to and from ther release point--same principle here.

20. Dec 7, 2009 #19

For simple harmonic operators this might help? Don't know?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=219445&highlight=Wilson-Sommerfield

Helped me though.

21. Dec 7, 2009 #20

I think I understand. My only issue now is, when I got 3.77 m as my A, how is the answer 38 cm? Did I mess up somewhere with my math?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook