Exploring Hooks Law & Oscillation-Method Spring Constants

In summary: I am guessing that for the oscillating method you also had to measure the period. How accurately did you measure that? What did you use? Depending on what you used, either method could be accurate than the other. For example, a photogate is more accurate than the timer app on your smartphone for timing oscillations; a transit level is more accurate than a meter stickr for measuring distances. Only you can estimate the accuracy what you did because you were there and I was not.In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the spring constants obtained through Hook's law and the oscillation method. It is mentioned that the spring constant is a constant independent of the measurement method, but the different values obtained may be due to systematic errors.
VitaminK
Homework Statement
calculate the spring constant
Relevant Equations
no equation
During an experiment, using Hooks law resulted in a spring constant of 7,8N/m while for the oscillation-method the constant was 8,6N/m. Could someone help me to clarify whay they differ and which vlsue is the correct one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring constant is, as the name implies, a constant that is independent of your method of measuring it. You got different values probably because of some systematic error in your measurements. Only you know what you did and how you did it, so you are best qualified to figure out which value you tthink is more accurate. Did you perform one measurement with each method or are these numbers averages of many measurements with each method? For all I know, the values that you got are within the uncertainty of your measurements.

kuruman said:
The spring constant is, as the name implies, a constant that is independent of your method of measuring it. You got different values probably because of some systematic error in your measurements. Only you know what you did and how you did it, so you are best qualified to figure out which value you tthink is more accurate. Did you perform one measurement with each method or are these numbers averages of many measurements with each method? For all I know, the values that you got are within the uncertainty of your measurements.
Thanks! Yeah I just performed one measurement with each method.

VitaminK said:
Thanks! Yeah I just performed one measurement with each method.
Which one do you trust most? Which one leaves ore room for error? Next time try to make more than one measuements. This will give you a better idea of how bunched together your measurements are.

kuruman said:
Which one do you trust most? Which one leaves ore room for error? Next time try to make more than one measuements. This will give you a better idea of how bunched together your measurements are.

Well I'd say the oscillating-method is more trustworthy, since it only depends on one variable (mass) that can be measured more accurately than the elongation x in F=kx. But i don't know if this is true?

VitaminK said:
Well I'd say the oscillating-method is more trustworthy, since it only depends on one variable (mass) that can be measured more accurately than the elongation x in F=kx. But i don't know if this is true?
Don't you have to also take account of the oscillation period? For me, measuring time manually through a stopwatch, for example, is way untrustworthy than measuring a distance with a meter stick, because of our reflexes.

Likes etotheipi
VitaminK said:
I am guessing that for the oscillating method you also had to measure the period. How accurately did you measure that? What did you use? Depending on what you used, either method could be accurate than the other. For example, a photogate is more accurate than the timer app on your smartphone for timing oscillations; a transit level is more accurate than a meter stickr for measuring distances. Only you can estimate the accuracy what you did because you were there and I was not.

A crude way to do that would be to say something like, "I measured the length to be 10.3 cm, but it could be as little as 10.1 or as big as 10.5 because of parallax effects and because couldn't exactly gauge where the beginning and the end of the length was." Now that you have these brackets, recalculate the spring constant using the low and high value for x to find a high and low value for the spring constant. Then do the same type thing for the time measurement considering how you did it. See if there is a overlap of the values measured by the two methods.

kuruman said:
I am guessing that for the oscillating method you also had to measure the period. How accurately did you measure that? What did you use? Depending on what you used, either method could be accurate than the other. For example, a photogate is more accurate than the timer app on your smartphone for timing oscillations; a transit level is more accurate than a meter stickr for measuring distances. Only you can estimate the accuracy what you did because you were there and I was not.

A crude way to do that would be to say something like, "I measured the length to be 10.3 cm, but it could be as little as 10.1 or as big as 10.5 because of parallax effects and because couldn't exactly gauge where the beginning and the end of the length was." Now that you have these brackets, recalculate the spring constant using the low and high value for x to find a high and low value for the spring constant. Then do the same type thing for the time measurement considering how you did it. See if there is a overlap of the values measured by the two methods.

I did measure the period for 10 oscillations (10T) and I used a regular timer so there are several errors here. Again thank you !

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting displacement of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement produced, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. How is Hooke's Law used in the study of spring constants?

Hooke's Law is used to determine the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. By applying different forces to a spring and measuring the resulting displacements, we can plot a graph of force vs. displacement and determine the slope of the line, which is equal to the spring constant.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant?

The spring constant is a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of springs and other elastic objects. It determines how much force is required to produce a certain amount of displacement in the object. It also affects the frequency and period of oscillations in a spring-mass system.

4. What is the oscillation-method for determining spring constants?

The oscillation-method is a technique for determining the spring constant of a spring by measuring the period of oscillations in a spring-mass system. By measuring the period and knowing the mass of the object attached to the spring, we can use the equation T = 2π√(m/k) to calculate the spring constant.

5. How is Hooke's Law related to simple harmonic motion?

Hooke's Law is closely related to simple harmonic motion, which is the back-and-forth motion of an object around an equilibrium point. In a spring-mass system, the force applied by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement, resulting in simple harmonic motion. This relationship can also be seen in other systems, such as pendulums and vibrating strings.