Spring Constant Due to 2 Charges

In summary, a tiny sphere with a charge of +6.1 µC is attached to a spring, while two other spheres with a charge of -4.0 µC each are placed at a distance of 3.6 cm from the first sphere. The spring, which initially stretched 5.0 cm, exerts a net force of 0.38 N due to the two charges. Using Coulomb's law and the equation for spring constant, the spring constant is calculated to be 4530 N/m.
mrlucky0

Homework Statement

A tiny sphere with a charge of q = +6.1 µC is attached to a spring. Two other tiny charged spheres, each with a charge of -4.0 µC, are placed in the positions shown in the figure, in which b = 3.6 cm. The spring stretches 5.0 cm from its previous equilibrium position toward the two spheres. Calculate the spring constant.

(See attachment)

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law:
F = Kq1q2/r^2

Spring Constant:
F = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I determine the net force due to to the individual force caused by F1 and F2:

F1 = kq1q2/r^2 * < cos(a), -sin(a) >
F2 = kq1q2/r^2 * < -cos(a), -sin(a) >

Fnet = F1 + F2

Where q1 = 4E-6 C, q2 = 6.1E-6 C, r = .0412 m ( by Pythagorean theorem) , a = 61 degrees

Fnet = < 0, -3.8E-1 >
||Fnet|| = 3.8E-1 N ; This is force due to the two charges pulling down on the spring.

F = kx
Sub in values:

3.8E-1 = k*(.036) ===> k = 11

The spring constant is 11 N/m ?

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.bmp
    224.3 KB · Views: 1,001
Physics news on Phys.org
for Fnet = < 0, -3.8E-1 >

are you sure that this is correct?

Edit: because each time I do the calculations I get like > 100 N or about that

Yeah, I get kq1q2/r^2 for one of the spheres to be 129.48N, then the vertical component is 129.48*sin(61) = 113.2N

Then 2 of them so 2*113.2N = 226.5N

226.5N = kx
226.5N = k(0.05m)

k = 4530N/m ?

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Yeah, I get kq1q2/r^2 for one of the spheres to be 129.48N, then the vertical component is 129.48*sin(61) = 113.2N

Then 2 of them so 2*113.2N = 226.5N

226.5N = kx
226.5N = k(0.05m)

k = 4530N/m ?

Thanks. You're absolutely right. I was making it more complicated than it was with the vectors which should of gotten me the right answer but I goofed up. The net force pulling the spring down is simply a vector pointing straight down. Here's what I was thinking:

kq1q2/r^2 * [ <cos(a), -sin(a)> + <-cos(a), -sin(a)>]
= kq1q2/r^2 * <0, -2sin(a)>
<0, -226.5 >

Take the magnitude of that vector to find k:

226.5 = k ( 0.05 m ) ==> k = 4530 N/m

Thank you again.

hey,
what book you are using?

rootX said:
hey,
what book you are using?

College Physics

Giambattista
Richardson
Richardson

thanks.

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant due to 2 charges?

The formula for calculating the spring constant due to 2 charges is k = (1/4πε0) x (q1q2) / r2, where k is the spring constant, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

How does the distance between the charges affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the spring constant decreases, and vice versa.

Can the spring constant be negative?

No, the spring constant cannot be negative. It is a measure of the strength of the force between two charges and must always be positive.

How does the strength of the charges affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the product of the charges. This means that as the charges become stronger (either positive or negative), the spring constant also increases, resulting in a stronger force between the charges.

What is the unit of measurement for the spring constant?

The unit of measurement for the spring constant is newtons per square meter (N/m2). This unit is equivalent to joules per square meter (J/m2) or kilograms per second squared (kg/s2).