How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression and Block Displacement?

In summary, a 5.90 kg block is compressed against a spring with constant k = 200 N/m. The block is initially at rest and then released, sliding along a frictionless track except for a section between points A and B. The coefficient of kinetic friction along this section is µk = 0.0800 and the length AB is 0.238 m. The maximum compression of the spring on the right can be determined using the equation W = F*d, where W is the work removed each pass over the section of friction. The work for the spring is kx2/2, allowing for the determination of where the block will eventually come to rest. A diagram can be used to aid in solving this problem
Jessicaelleig
Two identical massless springs of constant k = 200 N/m are fixed at opposite ends of a level track, as shown in Figure P5.62. A 5.90 kg block is pressed against the left spring, compressing it by 0.150 m. The block (initially at rest) is then released, as shown in Figure P5.62a. The entire track is frictionless except for the section between A and B.

Figure P5.62.

Given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and track along AB is µk = 0.0800, and given that the length AB is 0.238 m,
(a) determine the maximum compression of the spring on the right (see Fig. P5.62b).

(b) Determine where the block eventually comes to rest, as measured from A (see Fig. P5.62c).

If anyone can provide some guidance, I would appreciate it.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Jessicaelleig said:
Two identical massless springs of constant k = 200 N/m are fixed at opposite ends of a level track, as shown in Figure P5.62. A 5.90 kg block is pressed against the left spring, compressing it by 0.150 m. The block (initially at rest) is then released, as shown in Figure P5.62a. The entire track is frictionless except for the section between A and B.

Figure P5.62.

Given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and track along AB is µk = 0.0800, and given that the length AB is 0.238 m,
(a) determine the maximum compression of the spring on the right (see Fig. P5.62b).

(b) Determine where the block eventually comes to rest, as measured from A (see Fig. P5.62c).

If anyone can provide some guidance, I would appreciate it.
Thank you

Since you only have the one area that has friction - where energy can be robbed from the block - then what you are interested is how much 1 pass over the patch of friction will take away.

W = F*d

so your work each pass removed is u*m*g*d = .08 * 5.9 * 9.8 * .238

The work for the Spring is kx2/2 so knowing how much work goes to KE then gets subtracted each pass over the patch you can figure the rest.

thanks! anything else? I am so confused

Jessicaelleig said:
thanks! anything else? I am so confused

Any more and I'd be giving you the answers wouldn't I?

And gosh darn it I can't take your tests for you. So what good what that be?

Just draw a diagram and figure it out.

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is spring constant calculated?

Spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to a spring by the displacement of the spring.

What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is typically newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system and pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

How does spring constant affect the power of a spring?

The spring constant directly affects the power of a spring. A higher spring constant results in a stiffer spring and requires more force to stretch or compress it, resulting in a greater amount of power needed.

Can spring constant change?

Yes, spring constant can change depending on the material, length, and diameter of the spring. It can also change if the spring is damaged or has been stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.