Spring + Friction system equation

In summary, to find the spring constant k for an object of mass m traveling on a horizontal surface with an initial speed v and encountering a spring with a coefficient of kinetic friction u, use the equations E(final) = E(initial) + W(nonconservative forces) and Einitial = Ecompressed + Wagainst friction, and solve for k using the value for x found by comparing Einitial and Ecompressed. The final equation for k is (8*g^2*m*u^2)/(v^2).
Millenium
The question is An object of mass m is traveling on a horizontal surface. There is a coefficient of kinetic friction u between the object and the surface. The object has speed when it reaches x = 0 and encounters a spring. The object compresses the spring, stops, and then recoils and travels in the opposite direction. When the object reaches x = 0 on its return trip, it stops.

The question then asks me to find the spring constant k.

The answer to the problem has to be in terms of the following symbols:
u = coefficient of kinetic friction
m = mass of block
g = acceleration due to gravity
v = initial velocity of the block

I used conservation of energy
E(final) = E(initial) + W(nonconservative forces)

E(final) = 0 because the block is at rest (i think)

E(initial) if trying to find k could probably only be found if E(initial) = 1/2*k*x^2 right?

and then the W(nonconservative forces) = -m*g*u*x

then in order to find x I'd have to find how far the block would go with initial velocity v along the surface with u being the friction. So I'd get x = (v^2)/(2*u*g).

And then plugging everything back in and solving for k i get:

(4*g^2*m*u^2)/(v^2)

I figured that'd be the answer but when I put it into the online answer it says that its off by a multiplicative factor. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Millenium
I used conservation of energy
E(final) = E(initial) + W(nonconservative forces)

E(final) = 0 because the block is at rest (i think)

E(initial) if trying to find k could probably only be found if E(initial) = 1/2*k*x^2 right?
This confuses me a bit. Let me state it my way and see if we agree:
There are three points of interest: initial (speed = v; x = 0), compressed (v = 0; x = x), final (v = 0, x = 0).
Einitial = 1/2 m v2. (I assume v is the speed of the object when it first reaches x=0.)
Ecompressed = 1/2 k x2
Efinal = 0 (it's not moving and the spring is unstretched).

First compare Ecompressed with Efinal:
Ecompressed = Efinal + Wagainst friction;
I get: 1/2 k x2 = 0 + μmgx
(solve that for x)

Next compare Einitial with Ecompressed;
Einitial = Ecompressed + Wagainst friction;
I get: 1/2 m v2 = 1/2 k x2 + μmgx

Plug in the value for x from the first equation and solve for k.

and then the W(nonconservative forces) = -m*g*u*x
That's fine, just be careful with signs when you use it.

then in order to find x I'd have to find how far the block would go with initial velocity v along the surface with u being the friction. So I'd get x = (v^2)/(2*u*g).
Not sure what you're doing here. Seems like you're finding how far the object would slide before coming to rest if it started with initial speed v. This is not relevant. (See my analysis above.)
And then plugging everything back in and solving for k i get:

(4*g^2*m*u^2)/(v^2)

I figured that'd be the answer but when I put it into the online answer it says that its off by a multiplicative factor. Where did I go wrong?
Go over it again; you're almost there.

thank you very much I just equated that it should be (8*g^2*m*u^2)/(v^2) and it was right.

What is the equation for a spring and friction system?

The equation for a spring and friction system is F = -kx - μkN, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

What is the significance of the spring constant in the equation?

The spring constant, represented by k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is required to produce a certain amount of displacement in the spring. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress.

How does friction affect the spring and its motion?

Friction, represented by μk, is a resistance force that opposes the motion of the spring. In a spring and friction system, it decreases the amplitude of the spring's motion and causes it to come to rest more quickly. The coefficient of kinetic friction also affects the spring's natural frequency.

What is the relationship between the normal force and the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The normal force, represented by N, is equal to the force applied to the spring, F, in the absence of friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction, μk, is a dimensionless constant that determines the magnitude of the frictional force. As the normal force increases, the frictional force also increases, making it harder for the spring to move.

How does changing the spring constant affect the motion of the spring?

Changing the spring constant, k, affects the frequency and amplitude of the spring's motion. A higher spring constant results in a higher natural frequency and a smaller amplitude of motion. Conversely, a lower spring constant leads to a lower frequency and a larger amplitude of motion.