1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Help

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass 3 kg is hung from a spring, causing it to stretch 6 cm at equilibrium, as shown below. The 3 kg block is then replaced by a 4 kg block, and the new block is released from the position shown below, at which point the spring is unstretched. How far will the 4 kg block fall before its direction is reversed? Hint: for the new block case, the total distance of fall is twice the amplitude of the oscillation. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2

2. Relevant equations
    My teacher give me this equation. Y2= Y1(M2/M1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Y2=6(3/4) = 8
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    Explain your reasoning. There's lots of fun physics in this problem... and you aren't discussing it! (Your answer also doesn't have units... and you don't seem to know where the equation comes from. I honestly don't either. I'd trace through things I do know, about stretch, energy stored, force...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?