Spring Potential Energy involving two springs

In summary, a 10kg mass attached to two springs with a spring constant of 80 N/m and an unstretched length of 1m is held against the floor and then released. To find the velocity of the mass when it hits the ceiling, we use the equation PE(sp) = KE + PE(g) and solve for v. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we find the stretched length of the springs to be 4.472m, with an effective displacement of 3.472m. By assuming that all potential energy is transferred to kinetic energy, we find the maximum velocity to be 11.93m/s. However, this does not take into account the fact that the springs would still be tensed
kdm06

Homework Statement

A 10kg mass, attached by means of two springs to the ceiling, is held against the floor and is then released. How fast will it be traveling when it hits the ceiling? The spring constant of each spring is 80 N/m, and each spring has an unstretched length of 1 m. Assume that springs become loose and floppy once they're at their rest length.

distance between ceiling and floor: h_o=4m
horizontal distance from mass to each spring: 2m

Springs are at an angle from mass.

Homework Equations

PE(sp)=1/2kx^2
PE(g)=mgh
KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pythagorean theorem to find stretched length of spring:
s=sqrt(4^2+2^2)=sqrt(20)

I found theta to find h after the mass is released:
tan(theta)=4/2
theta=63.43494

I found h using trig:
h=unstretched length of string*sin(theta)=.8944

The answer is v=9.92m/s

I used this equation to solve for v with my datum at the floor:

PE(sp)=KE+PE(g)
1/2ks^2=1/2mv^2+mgh
1/2(80)(sqrt(20))^2=1/2(10)v^2+(10)(9.81)(.89)
v=11.93m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
try and give my analysis of the question even though I haven't done spring stuff in ages.

We have a few things to work with here, the distance between the Floor and ceiling is 4m, so we have that to work with, and the horizontal distance is 2m, so let's work with that for now to find out how much the spring is actually streached by.

By imagineing a right angled triangle, the hypotamuse is created by the spring, the horizontal and vertical components attached at a right angle, using, as you said, pythagarus theorem, we can find out how far the spring is streached.

[Centre][tex]2^{2}+4^{2} = 20 [/tex][/centre]

Square roote 20 to get 4.472Meters, 1 meter is used up by the "Forceless" rest state of the spring, that is to say, if something was "Streached" to 1m, it wouldn't experience a force exherted by the spring, as that's when the spring is fully compressed anyway, so that makes for an effective displacement of 3.472 Meters for the spring from its equilibrium position.

[tex] E=\frac{1}{2}kx^{2} [/tex]

This is the potential energy that the springs tension supplies there's two springs, so you multiply this potential energy by two.

Now let's assume that all potential energy from the spring transfers as kinetic energy to the Kilogramme weight, using:

[tex] E=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2} [/tex]

you can find the maximum velocity of the weight if all kinetic energy is transferred to the weight and nothing (such as gravity) was decellerating this kinetic energy transfer. Maybe this helps?

Also this maths doesn't take into account the fact that when the weight reaches the top of the room, the springs would still technically be tensed by 2m, and therefore the kinetic energy given to the weight would actually be 3.472-1 meters = 2.472meters, but i think your teacher implies that all energy is given to the object as the springs become "floppy" at the end...

Thank you for your help. But why would the string still be tensed by 2m after it reaches the top of the room?

1. What is spring potential energy?

Spring potential energy is the energy stored in a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of potential energy, which means it has the potential to do work.

2. How is spring potential energy calculated?

The formula for spring potential energy is E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. Can two springs have different spring constants and still be in equilibrium?

Yes, two springs can have different spring constants and still be in equilibrium. The equilibrium position will depend on the individual spring constants and the forces acting on the system.

4. How does the potential energy change when two springs are connected in series?

When two springs are connected in series, the potential energy of the system is equal to the sum of the potential energies of each individual spring. This is because the total displacement of the springs is equal to the sum of their individual displacements.

5. Can spring potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, spring potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the spring is released and returns to its equilibrium position. This conversion of energy is governed by the law of conservation of energy.