Spring question(just need answer checked)

• Thread starter juggalomike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, a spring with a relaxed length of 25 cm and a mass of 0.80 kg attached to it stretches to an equilibrium length of 34 cm. The spring constant is calculated to be 87.2. To find the speed of the mass when released from the equilibrium length, one can use the equation mgy + 0.5mv^2 = mgy + 0.5kx^2, where y is the initial height and x is the distance the mass falls. To find the length of the spring when the mass reaches its lowest point, one can use the equation 0.5mv^2 = mgy + 0.5kx^2, where v is the final velocity
juggalomike

Homework Statement

(a)A spring is attached to a ceiling, and has a relaxed length of 25 cm. When a mass m = 0.80 kg is attached to the spring it stretches to an equilibrium length of L0 = 34 cm.

(b) I lift the mass until the spring returns to its relaxed length, and then release it. When the mass returns to the equilibrium length, what is its speed?
(c) After I release the mass and it falls, what is the length of the spring when the mass reaches its lowest point?

Homework Equations

F=k*deltay
.5mv^2=kinetic energy
mgy=potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

.80*9.81=K*(.34m-.25m)
so K=87.2 for part A

Sorry for the missleading title but i realized I am not sure how to do part b or c, i believe for part b i have to set mgy+.5mv^2=mgy+.5mv^2 but I am not entirely sure

Want to make sure I am doing this right before my quiz tommorow, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of part A is correct.
Consider the equilibrium position as the reference point for measuring PE with zero initial PE.
When you lift the mass through a distance x, the rise in PE = mgx.
When you release the mass its initial velocity is zero.
When it crosses the equilibrium position, fall in PE = mgx
This change in PE in converted into KE of mass and elastic potential energy in spring.
Write down the equation and solve for v.
For the last part, the final velocity of the mass is zero.
So change in KE = fall in PE + increase in the elastic PE
Solve this equation to find the final extension of the mass..

Related to Spring question(just need answer checked)

1. What is the significance of the spring season?

The spring season marks the transition from winter to summer and is characterized by milder temperatures, longer daylight hours, and the blooming of flowers and trees.

2. How do animals prepare for spring?

Many animals prepare for spring by coming out of hibernation, migrating to warmer areas, or beginning their mating rituals.

3. What are the common weather patterns during spring?

The weather during spring is often characterized by rain showers, thunderstorms, and occasional periods of sunshine.

4. Why do we experience daylight savings time during spring?

Daylight savings time is implemented during spring to make better use of natural daylight and to create longer evenings for recreational activities.

5. How does spring affect agriculture and farming?

Spring is an important time for agriculture and farming as it marks the planting season for many crops and the beginning of the growth cycle for many plants and animals.