Calculating Maximum Compression in a Spring

In summary, the maximum compression of the spring when a 1.2 kilogram block is dropped from 0.48m above it is 0.411m, calculated using the force constant of 124 N/m and the conservation of energy equation.
zaraox
A 1.2 kilogram block is dropped from 0.48m above a spring in equilibrium. The force constant for the spring is 124 N/m. Calculate the maximum compression in the spring.

m = 1.2 kg
h = 0.48 + x
k = 124 N/m
x = ?

Ep = mgh
Ep = (1.2)(9.8)(0.48 + x)
Ep = 11.76(0.48 + x)
Ep = 5.6448 +11.76x

Sadly, that's as far as I get... if anyone could guide me through the next steps, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is conserved when the block compresses the spring. So you can set up an equation to solve for the max distance d the spring will compress.

mmattson07 said:
Energy is conserved when the block compresses the spring. So you can set up an equation to solve for the max distance d the spring will compress.

I don't really follow. What equation do you suggest I use?

You know the initial K and U and u know at the max compression of the spring the energy is just the elastic potential energy 1/2kx^2 and you can set them equal because the energy is conserved

Alright so:

5.6448 + 11.76x = (0.5)(124)(x^2)
5.6448 + 11.76x = 62x^2
62x^2 - 11.76x - 5.6448 = 0

Then I use quadratic formula and x comes out to be: x = 0.411 m

Is that right? :)

Looks good.

FAQ: Calculating Maximum Compression in a Spring

1. How do you calculate the maximum compression in a spring?

To calculate the maximum compression in a spring, you can use the formula x = F / k, where x is the maximum compression, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant (k) is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, and it is defined as the force required to stretch or compress a spring by a unit distance.

3. What is the maximum compression in a spring used for?

The maximum compression in a spring is used to determine the amount of energy stored in the spring when it is compressed. It is also used to ensure that the spring does not exceed its maximum compression limit, which can cause permanent damage to the spring.

4. What factors affect the maximum compression in a spring?

The maximum compression in a spring is affected by the spring's material, size, and shape, as well as the force applied to it. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the spring's maximum compression.

5. How can you increase the maximum compression in a spring?

To increase the maximum compression in a spring, you can either increase the applied force or use a spring with a higher spring constant. Additionally, using a shorter and thicker spring can also increase the maximum compression. However, it is important to note that increasing the maximum compression beyond the spring's limit can cause permanent damage to the spring.