Calculating Power and Force in a Sprinter's Run

• Thread starter habibclan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Work
In summary, the sprinter, starting from rest, runs 50 m in 7.0 s at a constant acceleration of 2.04 m/s^2. The magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter is 102 N. The sprinter's power output at 2.0 s, 4.0 s, and 6.0 s is 208.08 W, 416.16 W, and 624.24 W, respectively. There is a difference between average and instantaneous power, and in this case, the instantaneous power is the correct value to use.
habibclan

Homework Statement

A 50 kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 50 m in 7.0 s at constant acceleration.
a. What is the magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter?
b. What is the sprinter's power output at 2.0 s, 4.0 s and 6.0 s?

Homework Equations

xf= xo + vt+ 0.5*a*t^2
F= ma

vf= vi + at
P= (delta Work)/(Delta t)
P= f*d*cos angle

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the distance, initial velocity, and time I solve for acceleration

xf= xo + vt+ 0.5*a*t^2
50 = 0 + 0+ 0.5*a*(7^2)
a= 2.04 m/s^2

Therefore, F=ma=50 (2.04)=102 N

This, I got right. But when I calculate the power, I'm not getting the right answer when i use the first equation.
I calculate the velocity at t= 2s, and I get
vf = vi + at
vf= 2.04 ( 2)
vf= 4.08 m/s

Therefore work=delta kinetic energy= 0.5 m (vf^2 - vi^2)
K= 0.5 ( 50) ( 4.08^2)
K= 416.16 J

Therefore delta work=delta kinetic energy=416.16 J

Therefore Power= 416.16/ 2 s = 208.08 W.

Apparently the answer is just 416.16 J. When I use the second equation of P= F*v=102*4.08=416 J, I get the correct answer. Why are these two equations giving me different answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the difference in the kinetic energies at t=0 and t=2 and dividing by 2 sec doesn't work for the same reason that taking the difference in the positions at t=0 and t=2 and dividing by 2 sec doesn't give you the velocity at t=0. They want an 'instantaneous power' not an 'average power'.

Dick said:
Taking the difference in the kinetic energies at t=0 and t=2 and dividing by 2 sec doesn't work for the same reason that taking the difference in the positions at t=0 and t=2 and dividing by 2 sec doesn't give you the velocity at t=0. They want an 'instantaneous power' not an 'average power'.

I didn't know that there was a difference between the two. So whenever I have a velocity I should use the second one?

There's definitely a difference between average and instantaneous. If they don't ask for average then they probably mean instantaneous.

Thanks a lot! I understand it now =).

1. What is sprinter work?

Sprinter work refers to the amount of energy or force a sprinter exerts while running. It is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (N-m).

2. What is sprinter power?

Sprinter power is the rate at which a sprinter does work, or the amount of work done per unit of time. It is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

3. How is sprinter work and power related?

Sprinter work and power are directly related, as power is the product of work and time. This means that the more work a sprinter does in a given time period, the greater their power output will be.

4. How does sprinter work and power affect performance?

Sprinter work and power are crucial factors in determining a sprinter's performance. The more work and power a sprinter can produce, the faster and more explosive they will be on the track.

5. What factors can affect sprinter work and power?

There are several factors that can affect sprinter work and power, including the sprinter's technique, muscle strength and endurance, body composition, and training program. Environmental factors such as wind resistance and altitude can also play a role in work and power output.