What Happens to Sqrt(n+1) - Sqrt(n) as n Approaches Infinity?

• Thread starter tcbh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the limit of $\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}$. The solution involves using the mean value theorem and manipulating the expression to get a form that can be easily solved.
tcbh

Homework Statement

[tex]$\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt{n+1}-\sqrt{n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is obvious, but I'm having trouble doing it formally. The best I can come up with is setting it equal to some tn, moving [tex]-\sqrt(n)[/tex] to the other side and squaring both sides. Then somehow showing that tn--> 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a classic hint on this type of problems. To multiply by 1/1 written in a smart manner, that is involving radicals and <n>. Then taking the limit would be a formality.

If what I said is not obvious, I'll give you a new hint.

Have you tried using the mean value theorem on [itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex]? It should come out quickly that way.

Thanks for the help!

I tried multiplying by[tex]\sqrt{n}/\sqrt{n}[/tex].

Eventually I ended up with [tex]n(\sqrt{1+1/n}-1)/\sqrt{n}[/tex]

Again, it seems pretty clear that the top goes to 0, but I feel like I should be able construct a N based on some [tex]\epsilon[/tex] so the the expression is always less than [tex]\epsilon[/tex] for n > N. I'm not really sure how to go about constructing that N.

LeonhardEuler said:
Have you tried using the mean value theorem on [itex]\sqrt{n+1}[/itex]? It should come out quickly that way.

ahh, I see.

f'(x) = [tex]\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}[/tex] for some x[tex]\in[/tex](n, n+1)
f'(x) = 1[tex]/2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

Then for x[tex]\geq1/4\epsilon^{2}[/tex], 0<f"(x)<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Does that look right (well the tex seems to be a mess, lol)?

Well, it's still not solved, because you get a new infinity*0 limit.

The next hint is [itex] (a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2 [/itex].

Following along the lines of bigubau's hint, multiply your original expression by 1 in the form of
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n}}[/tex]

tcbh said:
ahh, I see.

f'(x) = [tex]\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}[/tex] for some x[tex]\in[/tex](n, n+1)
f'(x) = 1[tex]/2\sqrt{x}[/tex]

Then for x[tex]\geq1/4\epsilon^{2}[/tex], 0<f"(x)<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Does that look right (well the tex seems to be a mess, lol)?

This looks right, you just need to use n instead of x technically, so it would be
[tex]0\leq\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}\leq\epsilon \ \ \ \forall n>\frac{1}{4\epsilon^2}[/tex]

FAQ: What Happens to Sqrt(n+1) - Sqrt(n) as n Approaches Infinity?

1. What is the limit of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) as n approaches infinity?

The limit of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) as n approaches infinity is equal to 0.

2. How do you prove that sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) approaches 0 as n approaches infinity?

To prove that the limit is 0, we can use the Squeeze Theorem. We know that 0 <= sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) <= 1/sqrt(n). Since the limits of both 0 and 1/sqrt(n) as n approaches infinity is 0, then the limit of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) must also be 0.

3. Is sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) a convergent or divergent sequence as n approaches infinity?

The sequence of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) is a convergent sequence as n approaches infinity. This means that the sequence approaches a finite limit as n becomes larger and larger.

4. How does the graph of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) look like as n approaches infinity?

As n approaches infinity, the graph of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) will approach the x-axis, getting closer and closer to 0 without ever touching it.

5. Can you provide a real-life example where the concept of sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) as n approaches infinity is applicable?

One example would be in economics, where the rate of change in a company's profit can be represented by sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n), where n represents the number of years. As the company grows and approaches an infinite number of years, the rate of change in profit will approach 0, indicating a stable and steady growth.

Back