Square of a finite deltafunction

In summary, The authors of "Quantum Field Theory - Mandl and Shaw" derive the cross-section by taking the square of a finite delta function (**). They use the definition of the delta function, (2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(\sum p'_f - \sum p_i) = \lim_{T,V \to \infty} \delta_{TV}(\sum p_f' - \sum p_i), and show that when taking the square of this function, a TV factor appears. However, this is just an approximate formula and should be used with caution.
center o bass
Hi. I'm reading "Quantum Field Theory - Mandl and Shaw" about how to derive the cross-section and in the derivation the authors make the following argument

"For large values of T and V, we can then take

[tex] \delta_{TV}(\sum p_f' - \sum p_i) = (2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(\sum p'_f - \sum p_i)[/tex]
and
[tex](**) (\delta_{TV}(\sum p_f' - \sum p_i))^2 = TV(2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(\sum p'_f - \sum p_i)[/tex]"

where they earlier have defined

[tex] (2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(\sum p'_f - \sum p_i) = \lim_{T,V \to \infty} \delta_{TV}(\sum p_f' - \sum p_i) = \lim_{T,V \to \infty} \int_{-T/2}^{T/2}dt\int_V d^3x \exp ( i x( \sum p_f' - \sum p_i)).[/tex]

My question is how they get in a TV factor when they take the square of that finite delta function in equation (**)? The argument is found in full detail in

http://books.google.no/books?id=Ef4...no&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

at page 129. And the equation that I'm wondering about it (8.5).

Physics news on Phys.org
Their derivation can be understood in this way:

Let [itex]\delta_T (\omega) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} e^{-i\omega t} ~dt[/itex]. It can be shown that approximately

[tex]
\int_R \delta_T (\omega) f(\omega) ~d\omega \approx f(0),
[/tex]

so this function behaves similarly as the δ distribution.

Now, what is [itex]( \delta_T(\omega) ) ^2[/itex]? This can be attributed meaning of a distribution. The integral

[tex]
I = \int_R \delta_T(\omega) ^2 f(\omega)~d\omega
[/tex]

can be calculated approximately in this way:

[tex]
I = \int_R \delta_T(\omega) [ \delta_T(\omega) f(\omega) ]~d\omega \approx \delta_T(0) f(0)
[/tex]

Since [itex]\delta_T(0) = T[/itex], we obtain

[tex]
I \approx Tf(0).
[/tex]

From this we infer that the expression [itex]\delta_T ^2 [/itex] behaves, under the integral, almost as the function [itex]T\delta_T(\omega)[/itex].

But I would like to say that these are just approximate formulae and one should be careful about using them.

1. What is a finite deltafunction?

A finite deltafunction, also known as a discrete delta function, is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except at one specific point, where it has a value of infinity. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point of concentration or a sudden impulse in a system.

2. How is the square of a finite deltafunction defined?

The square of a finite deltafunction is defined as the product of two delta functions. This means that the value of the square of a finite deltafunction is zero everywhere except at two specific points, where it has a value of infinity. This can be thought of as representing two simultaneous impulses in a system.

3. What is the significance of the square of a finite deltafunction?

In physics and engineering, the square of a finite deltafunction is often used to model systems that experience multiple simultaneous impulses, such as in collisions or sudden changes in a system's dynamics. It can also be used to represent the response of a system to a single impulse that occurs at two different times.

4. How is the square of a finite deltafunction mathematically represented?

The square of a finite deltafunction is represented mathematically as the convolution of two delta functions. This can be written as δ(x-a) * δ(x-b), where a and b are the two specific points where the function has a value of infinity. This notation is often used to represent the square of a finite deltafunction in mathematical equations.

5. Can the square of a finite deltafunction have a finite value?

No, the square of a finite deltafunction will always have a value of infinity at two points and a value of zero everywhere else. This is because it is a mathematical representation of two simultaneous impulses, which by definition have infinitely high and short durations. In some cases, the square of a finite deltafunction may be approximated by a finite value, but this is not a true representation of the function.