Square root in Q(root 2) means its in Z[root 2]

In summary, the square root of a number is actually in the rational number range if it has a positive square root.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $a,b \in \mathbb{Z}$, and if $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$, then the square root is actually in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}]$.

Only one approach comes to my mind. Let $r_1, r_2 \in \mathbb{Q}$ such that $a+b\sqrt{2}=(r_1+r_2\sqrt{2})^2$. This gives $a=r_1^2+2r_2^2, b=2r_1r_2$. I need to somehow show that $r_1, r_2$ are integers. I played with the above equations putting $r_i=p_i/q_i$ with $\gcd (p_i,q_i)=1$. But I couldn't conclude anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Let $a,b \in \mathbb{Z}$, and if $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$, then the square root is actually in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}]$.

Only one approach comes to my mind. Let $r_1, r_2 \in \mathbb{Q}$ such that $a+b\sqrt{2}=(r_1+r_2\sqrt{2})^2$. This gives $a=r_1^2+2r_2^2, b=2r_1r_2$. I need to somehow show that $r_1, r_2$ are integers. I played with the above equations putting $r_i=p_i/q_i$ with $\gcd (p_i,q_i)=1$. But I couldn't conclude anything.
If $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$, then the square root can be written in the form $\dfrac{p+q\sqrt2}r$, where $p$, $q$ and $r$ are integers and $r$ is chosen to be positive and as small as possible (so that in particular the triple $p,\,q,\,r$ will have no common factor greater than 1).

Then $r^2(a+b\sqrt2) = (p+q\sqrt2)^2 = p^2+2q^2 + 2pq\sqrt2$, and therefore $p^2+2q^2 - r^2a = (r^2b-2pq)\sqrt2.$ But $\sqrt2$ is irrational, so no nonzero multiple of it can be an integer. Therefore $$p^2+2q^2 = r^2a, \qquad 2pq = r^2b.$$
Suppose that $r$ has an odd prime factor $\rho$. Then the second of those displayed equations shows that $\rho$ is a factor of either $p$ or $q$. The first of the displayed equations then shows that $\rho$ is a factor of both $p$ and $q$. Thus $p$, $q$ and $r$ have the common factor $\rho$, contrary to the initial assumption.

Next, suppose that $r$ is even, say $r=2s$. Then the first displayed equation becomes $p^2+2q^2 = 4s^2a$, showing that $p$ must be even, say $p=2t.$ It follows that $2t^2+q^2 = 2s^2a$, showing that $q$ is even. Thus $p$, $q$ and $r$ have the common factor 2, again contrary to the initial assumption.

The conclusion is that $r$ has no prime factors at all and is therefore equal to 1, proving that $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}].$

Opalg said:
If $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})$, then the square root can be written in the form $\dfrac{p+q\sqrt2}r$, where $p$, $q$ and $r$ are integers and $r$ is chosen to be positive and as small as possible (so that in particular the triple $p,\,q,\,r$ will have no common factor greater than 1).

Then $r^2(a+b\sqrt2) = (p+q\sqrt2)^2 = p^2+2q^2 + 2pq\sqrt2$, and therefore $p^2+2q^2 - r^2a = (r^2b-2pq)\sqrt2.$ But $\sqrt2$ is irrational, so no nonzero multiple of it can be an integer. Therefore $$p^2+2q^2 = r^2a, \qquad 2pq = r^2b.$$
Suppose that $r$ has an odd prime factor $\rho$. Then the second of those displayed equations shows that $\rho$ is a factor of either $p$ or $q$. The first of the displayed equations then shows that $\rho$ is a factor of both $p$ and $q$. Thus $p$, $q$ and $r$ have the common factor $\rho$, contrary to the initial assumption.

Next, suppose that $r$ is even, say $r=2s$. Then the first displayed equation becomes $p^2+2q^2 = 4s^2a$, showing that $p$ must be even, say $p=2t.$ It follows that $2t^2+q^2 = 2s^2a$, showing that $q$ is even. Thus $p$, $q$ and $r$ have the common factor 2, again contrary to the initial assumption.

The conclusion is that $r$ has no prime factors at all and is therefore equal to 1, proving that $a+b\sqrt{2}$ has a square root in $\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}].$
Thank You so much!

What does "Square root in Q(root 2) means its in Z[root 2]" mean?

This statement means that the square root of a number in the field of rational numbers with root 2 can also be expressed as a number in the field of integers with root 2.

What is Q(root 2)?

Q(root 2) refers to the field of rational numbers with root 2, which includes all numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers and have a square root of 2.

What is Z[root 2]?

Z[root 2] refers to the field of integers with root 2, which includes all numbers that can be expressed as whole numbers and have a square root of 2.

Can all square roots in Q(root 2) be expressed in Z[root 2]?

Yes, all square roots in Q(root 2) can be expressed in Z[root 2] because the field of integers with root 2 is a subset of the field of rational numbers with root 2.

How is expressing a square root in Z[root 2] different from expressing it in Q(root 2)?

Expressing a square root in Z[root 2] means that the number can be represented as a whole number with a square root of 2, while expressing it in Q(root 2) means that the number can be represented as a ratio of two integers with a square root of 2.