Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root of matrix

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    I'm doing an online course in quantum information theory, but it seems to require some knowledge of linear algebra that I don't have.
    A definition that popped up today was the definition of the absolute value of a matrix as:

lAl = √(A*A) , where * denotes conjugate transpose.

Now for a given matrix I can calculate the product A*A, but how is the square root of this defined? I have no idea, though I think it should be basis independent, so maybe square root of the trace.
    A*A is clearly positive semidefinite but I don't know if I can use that for anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the definition of the square root of a number?

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3
    Well I guess that the square root of a matrix A is then a matrix B such that B^2 = A. Well wouldn't it be better with a matrix B such that B*B = A. And is this definition basis independent.

5. Jan 18, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be like requiring the square root of a complex number ##a## to satisfy ##b^*b = a##

6. Jan 18, 2016 #5
    Ok well is the definition basis independent?

7. Jan 18, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase that question. If a linear transformation T is represented by the matrix A in one basis and A' in another. Then is |A'| = |A|'?

What do you think?

8. Jan 18, 2016 #7
    I am not sure. I need to show that:

(√(A))' = √(A')
    B' = √(A')

Now if A' = UAU maybe I can use that somehow...

9. Jan 18, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or, think about diagonalizing A*A. It must be true if you want to accept that and get back to your quantum theory!

10. Jan 18, 2016 #9
    Maybe something like this:

A' = UAU
    B' = UBU

Now B2 = A

We want to show that:
    √A' = (√A)' = B'

So is B'2 = A'?

Well B'2 = UBUUBU = UB2U = UAU = A'

But all this requires that A and A' and B and B' are related by a basis change with a unitary as above. When is this true?

11. Jan 18, 2016 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's essentially the proof. The only technicality is that B' must be the right square root. That probably depends on showing that a positive semi-definite matrix has a unique positive semi-definite square root.

12. Jan 18, 2016 #11
    The square root of a positive semidefinite Hermitian matrix ##A## is the unique positive semidefinite matrix ##B## such that ##B^2=A##. You can look at Ch. VI s.3 of "Linear algebra done wrong" for an explanation of why such matrix exists and why it is unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook