• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Square roots of positive numbers

• Thread starter bluskies
  • Start date

Homework Statement

If a and b are positive real numbers, and [tex]\lambda^{2} = ab[/tex], then [tex]\lambda = \pm \sqrt{ab}[/tex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a conceptual question that has always escaped me. I do not understand how the square root of two positive numbers could possibly be negative. Since a and b are positive, how can there be any negatives in the square root of their product? Any guidance on this subject would be very much appreciated.

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
(-1)2 =1

so squaring -√(ab) will give (ab) regardless of a + or - before the square root.

I think you might be looking too hard into this. There are no negatives in the square root. the negative is outside it. say both a and b are 5. then lambda² = 25. lambda therefore is equal to positive root(25) or negative root(25). Or in other terms, lambda² = 5² or (-5)²

A numerical example can illustrate this. Let a = 1 and b = 4 for instance. Then we have [tex]\lambda^{2} = 4[/tex]. We realise however, that because negatives cancel upon multiplication, in fact [tex](-2)^2 = 2^(2) = 4[/tex], and so both -2 and 2 are possible solutions.

Thank y'all for your help, that makes sense now. :)