Stability of Drink and Bottle on Train Table

In summary, to maximize stability of a partially filled bottle on a shaking table, the surface of the beer should coincide with the center of gravity of the bottle. This condition is independent of the shape of the bottle and can be achieved by ensuring that the center of mass of the bottle and the liquid is at its lowest point. This can be calculated by finding the minimum point of the combined center of mass of the bottle and liquid.
TFM

Homework Statement

You are riding in a train and have just opened a bottle of beer. Prove that for your bottle to be as stable as possible on the table (which is shaking), you should drink sufficient beer such that the surface of the beer coincides with the centre of gravity of the partially filled bottle. You may wish to begin by assuming that the bottle is of constant cross-section.

The condition above for maximum stability is actually independent of the shape of the bottle. Give a logical argument for why this is the case.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not quite sure. I would have thought that to be the most stable the centre of gravity for the drink and the bottle should be in the same place - it appears I am mistaken. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Stability of Table on Train.jpg
    Stability of Table on Train.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
My reasoning is that if the top of the beer is below the bottles center of mass then that configuration will allow the maximum amount of mass(liquid) below the bottles center of mass, and no mass(liquid) above the bottles center of mass.
Because the bottle has less mass above it's center of mass, it will be less prone to tipping over, and all the mass below that point will help to stabilize it.

So, with the attached Diagram

A, which has a level over the Centre of Gravity, has more mass to weigh it down, but it is above the centre of gravity so the sloshing as it moves about has more effect and can push it over.

C, which has a level under the Centre of Gravity, has less to slosh around, and is under the centre of mass, meaning it will provide less effect to pushing the bottle, but the mass is significant decreased so has less pushing it onto the table

B, which has the level at the centre of Gravity, has a balance between the mass to keep it down, against the amount of liquid sloshing around to tip the bottle over.

Does this make sense? How would you prove it? I am assuming some formulas will be required?

TFM

Attachments

• Drink Stability.bmp
    289.1 KB · Views: 529
Any ideas how to actually prove it?

TFM

Are there any formulas that could be useful for this problem?

TFM

Remember that the centre of mass will get lower as you drink more beer.

I'm not so sure about that dotty123. The problem is talking about the center of mass of the bottle, not the bottle+luquid. At least that is what I'm thinking.

TFM: If I am correct, then I would guess that B is the most stable. Because it has more mass than C to hold it down, but none of that mass is above the bottles center of mass, like in A.

Isn't it asking about the centre of mass of the partially filled bottle? not just the bottle. Surely, if you're trying to calculate the stabililty of a drink, you have to take into account the mass of drink itself?
The drink will be most stable when the entire centre of mass is lowest. This can be calculated by combining the centre of mass of the bottle and the centre of mass of the liquid. Then you just need to find where it is at a minimum.

1. How does the movement of a train affect the stability of a drink and bottle on a table?

The movement of a train can cause vibrations and changes in direction, which can impact the stability of a drink and bottle on a table. These movements can cause the objects to slide or tip over, especially if the train is traveling at high speeds.

2. Are there any factors that can make a drink and bottle more or less stable on a train table?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the stability of a drink and bottle on a train table. These include the type of table surface (e.g. smooth or textured), the size and shape of the drink and bottle, and the amount of liquid in the drink. Additionally, external factors like turbulence or sudden stops can also impact stability.

3. What can be done to increase the stability of a drink and bottle on a train table?

To increase stability, it is recommended to use a non-slip mat or coaster under the drink and bottle. This can provide friction and prevent them from sliding or tipping over. Additionally, placing the drink and bottle in a more central location on the table, rather than near the edges, can also help improve stability.

4. How can the stability of a drink and bottle be affected by the type of drink and bottle itself?

The type of drink and bottle can play a role in stability. For example, a narrow bottle with a small base may be more prone to tipping over compared to a wider bottle with a larger base. Similarly, a carbonated drink may be more likely to spill due to the gas bubbles causing the liquid to move around inside the bottle.

5. Can the stability of a drink and bottle on a train table be affected by the speed of the train?

Yes, the speed of the train can impact the stability of a drink and bottle on a table. As the speed increases, so does the intensity of the vibrations and movements, which can make it more difficult for the objects to remain stable. Additionally, sudden changes in speed or direction can also affect stability.