How to Prove Stabilizers in Group Theory Using X and G?

In summary: Well, once you've shown that a \in g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1}, you should be able to show that a = ghg^{-1} pretty easily. In fact, all you need to do is show that there exists an h \in \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) for which a = ghg^{-1}.
zcdfhn
Suppose that G acts on the set X. Prove that if g [tex]\in[/tex] G, x [tex]\in[/tex] X then StabG(g(x)) = g StabG(x) g-1.

Note: g StabG(x) g-1 by definition is {ghg-1 : h [tex]\in[/tex] StabG(x)}

My attempt at the problem is:
Let a [tex]\in[/tex] StabG(g(x)), then a(g(x)) = g(x) by definition.
Also Let b[tex]\in[/tex] StabG(x), then b(x) = x by definition.

and then I am completely stuck. Please guide me with this proof, I have tried for a couple hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the most typical method used to prove that some set S is equal to some other set T?

So I have to prove that one set contains the other, and that the other contains the one set, but I still need a push in the right direction.

Oh ok i figured it out you check a(g(x)) = g(x) and you also check ghg^-1(g(x)) = g(x)

Thank you so much

Last edited:
So I have to prove that one set contains the other, and that the other contains the one set, but I still need a push in the right direction.
Right. So now that you know the outline of the proof, just fill in the steps. :wink: e.g. one half of the proof is to show that [itex]\mathrm{Stab}_G(g(x)) \subseteq g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1}[/itex] -- I'll get you started:

Suppose [itex]a \in \mathrm{Stab}_G(g(x))[/itex]
Therefore [itex]a \in g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1}[/itex]

Note that you've already filled in the second step in your opening. The second to last step should be easy as well...

(I'm operating under the assumption you haven't done this yet, since the work you presented isn't along these lines... and I believe that doing this really should suggest something to try)

I actually still have no clue, I haven't even figured out the second the last step that you mentioned.

So from the assumption that a[tex]\in[/tex] StabG(g(x)), you can say a(g(x)) = g(x), but then I'm still trying to think out how to show that a is included in ghg^-1

Would you do a(ghg^-1), just a guess, but still no leads

zcdfhn said:
I actually still have no clue, I haven't even figured out the second the last step that you mentioned.
Well, you already said that [itex]g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1} = \{ g h g^{-1} \mid h \in \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \}[/itex], didn't you? So the claim
[itex]a \in g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1}[/itex]​
should be logically equivalent to
there exists an [itex]h \in \mathrm{Stab}_G(x)[/itex] for which [itex]a = ghg^{-1}[/itex]​

(Now, if such an h really does exist, what would it have to be...?)

Note that nothing clever or insightful was involved here -- all I'm doing is carefully unfolding the definitions. You already told me how to write [itex]g \cdot \mathrm{Stab}_G(x) \cdot g^{-1}[/itex] in set-builder notation (i.e. [itex]\{ \cdot \mid \cdot \}[/itex] form) -- all I did after that was to write the definition of [itex]\in[/itex] for sets presented in such a way. It takes a while to get used to doing things with such precision, but it really is extremely helpful.

So is this at all correct for the first half of the proof:

Suppose a [tex]\in[/tex]StabG(g(x)), then a(g(x)) = g(x)
Then suppose h[tex]\in[/tex]StabG(x), then h(x) = x
if a=ghg-1, then h = g-1ag = g-1g = e = identity
so since a = ghg-1=geg-1 = e = identity

so a = e[tex]\in[/tex]g StabGg-1

I'm confused why i end up with a = h = e, though, so I have a feeling i messed up

1. What is the definition of stabilizers in group theory?

Stabilizers, also known as point stabilizers or isotropy subgroups, are a fundamental concept in group theory. They are the subgroups of a given group that fix a specific element or set of elements, meaning that they leave those elements unchanged when acted upon by group operations.

2. How are stabilizers related to the concept of symmetry?

Stabilizers play a crucial role in understanding symmetry in group theory. They help to identify the specific elements or points that remain unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations and reflections. The stabilizer of a given element represents the set of all symmetries that leave that element fixed.

3. Can stabilizers be used to classify groups?

Yes, stabilizers can be used to classify groups. In fact, stabilizers are often used in the construction and study of permutation groups, which are groups that consist of symmetries of a given set. By analyzing the stabilizers of elements in a permutation group, we can gain insights into the structure and properties of the group as a whole.

4. How do stabilizers relate to the concept of orbits?

Stabilizers and orbits are closely related in group theory. The orbit of an element under a group action is the set of all elements that can be reached from that element by applying group operations. The stabilizer of an element is the subgroup that fixes that element, so the size of the stabilizer determines the size of the orbit.

5. Can stabilizers be used in practical applications?

Yes, stabilizers have many practical applications in mathematics and physics. For example, in chemistry, stabilizers are used to describe and understand the symmetries of molecules. In cryptography, stabilizers are used to construct secure encryption schemes. Stabilizers also have applications in computer science and coding theory.