Standing wave on a guitar string

In summary, the guitar string is in its fundamental mode with nodes at each end and a length of 0.380m free to vibrate. The maximum transverse acceleration is 8700m/s^2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.10m/s. By using the displacement equation and trigonometric values, the amplitude of the standing wave can be solved for.
ronny45

Homework Statement

A guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end. The length of the segment of the string that is free to vibrate is 0.380m. The maximum transverse acceleration of a point at the middle of the segment is 8700m/s^2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.10m/s. What is the amplitude of this standing wave?

Homework Equations

y (x,t)= Asinkxsin[tex]\omega[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2L = 0.760m
k= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex]=8.267
A= -[tex]\omega[/tex]^2 y(x,t)=8700m/s^2
v y(x,t)=derivative of y(x,t) wrt t = 3.10 where y=0 (v max)
This is where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, what is the highest value a sin function can have (ie what is the max of sin(anything) )?

max of sin (anything) is 1. Em, I'm genuinely sorry if I'm being really obtuse here, but how does that help me?

No problem.

Also, I forgot to mention, keep in mind what is max of cos as well.

As you were given the max acceleration/velocity, it stands to reason that the sin values in your equation would be max, right? So, differentiate your displacement equation with respect to t, and pop in the trig values. This will give two much simpler equations, which you can use to solve for amplitude.

What is a standing wave on a guitar string?

A standing wave on a guitar string occurs when a wave traveling along the string reflects off the end of the string, causing interference and resulting in a fixed pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) along the string.

What factors affect the formation of a standing wave on a guitar string?

The formation of a standing wave on a guitar string is affected by the tension, length, and density of the string. The frequency of the wave is also determined by the vibrating length of the string.

How is the frequency of a standing wave on a guitar string related to its length?

The frequency of a standing wave on a guitar string is inversely proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the string increases, the frequency decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse relationship between frequency and wavelength.

What is the significance of nodes and antinodes in a standing wave on a guitar string?

Nodes and antinodes are important features of a standing wave on a guitar string. Nodes are points of no displacement, where the string appears to be still. Antinodes, on the other hand, are points of maximum displacement, where the string moves the most. These points are important for determining the pitch and sound produced by the string.

Can standing waves on a guitar string be manipulated to produce different pitches?

Yes, the length of the string can be adjusted to change the frequency of the standing wave and produce different pitches. This is why different notes can be played on a guitar by pressing down on different frets, which changes the effective length of the string.