1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star system

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    I recently did an exercise where I had to calculate the total energy needed to separate the stars completely from each other - i.e. make the distance between them infinity.
    One then had to calculate the potential energy between them as well as their kinetic energies. But theres something I don't get here - why do you have to use the kinetic energy in the calculations too. Couldnt you imagine a situation where the kinetic energy was the same after they had been separated by a distance of infinity.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Work needed to separate the stars to infinity is the potential energy of the system in it's initial state. The total energy of the system is the potential energy and the kinetic energy.

Check the wording of the problem.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    Well the assignment explicitly asks: What amount of energy is needed to separate the stars to a distance infinitely far from each other.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well then, I'd say you have a point :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook