Starch, commercial bleach and halides

• Thread starter zipup
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for starch, bleach, and halides is starch + NaOCl + KI --> Kstarch + NaOCl + I2. The halides are reducing agents while the bleach is an oxidizing agent. The test for starch involves iodine forming a blue-black complex with the starch.
zipup
1. If i were asked to write the equation for starch, bleach and halides, how am i suppose to do it?

2. starch, commercial bleach (NaOCl), halides (KI, KBr, NaCl, NaF)

3. My attempt at this equation: starch + NaOCl + KI --> Kstarch + NaOCl + I2

Physics news on Phys.org
if I'm not wrong, you should consider the typical test for starch, with iodine forming a blue black complex with the starch.

the halides are reducing agents. and the bleach is an oxidising agent.

Kushal said:
if I'm not wrong, you should consider the typical test for starch, with iodine forming a blue black complex with the starch.

the halides are reducing agents. and the bleach is an oxidising agent.

thanks. appreciated.

Related to Starch, commercial bleach and halides

1. What is starch and where is it commonly found?

Starch is a type of carbohydrate that is commonly found in plants, such as wheat, corn, and potatoes. It is also found in some animal products, like milk and eggs.

2. How is starch used in commercial products?

Starch is often used as a thickening agent in commercial products, such as soups, sauces, and dressings. It is also commonly used in baking as a binding agent and to add texture to baked goods.

3. What is commercial bleach and how does it work?

Commercial bleach is a chemical solution that is used as a disinfectant and whitening agent. It works by breaking down the chemical bonds in stains and microorganisms, effectively removing them from surfaces.

4. What are halides and how are they different from other elements?

Halides are a group of chemical elements that include chlorine, fluorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine. They are different from other elements because they all have seven valence electrons, making them highly reactive and often found in compounds rather than in their pure form.

5. How are halides used in commercial products?

Halides are commonly used in commercial products for their disinfectant and bleaching properties. For example, chlorine and bromine are often used in swimming pools to kill bacteria and keep the water clean. Fluorine is used in toothpaste to prevent tooth decay, and iodine is used in antiseptics to kill germs on the skin.