State Matrix Derivation for Orbital Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the state matrix form for \(\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = -\frac{\mu}{r^3}\mathbf{r}\) and the state transition matrix for the Keplerian two body problem. The conversation also delves into the definition of \(\ddot{\mathbf{r}}\) as the divergence of the potential of r and the use of \(F\) and \(G\) solutions to compute partial derivatives. The partial derivatives of the initial orbit radius and velocity magnitude are given and the sensitivities of the semimajor axis are also discussed. The conversation ends with the introduction of a placeholder vector alpha.
Dustinsfl
Has anyone seen the derivation of \(\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = -\frac{\mu}{r^3}\mathbf{r}\) into state matrix form?

If so, can they provide a link?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In a book, I have found a derivation I don't fully understand.

For one, it defines \(\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = -\frac{\mu}{r^3}\mathbf{r} = -\nabla V(\mathbf{r})\). I have never seen this definition. Why/How can Keplerian motion de defined as divergence of the potential of r?

Then
\[
\mathbf{G} = -
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial(\nabla V(\mathbf{r}))}{\partial\mathbf{r}}
\end{bmatrix} = -
\begin{bmatrix}
V_{xx} & V_{xy} & V_{xz}\\
V_{xy} & V_{yy} & V_{yz}\\
V_{xz} & V_{zy} & V_{zz}
\end{bmatrix}
\]
Since \(\mathbf{G} = \mathbf{G}^T\), the state transition matrix of the Keplerian two body problem is guaranteed to be symplectic.
\[
\mathbf{x}(t) =
\begin{bmatrix}
\mathbf{r}(t)\\
\mathbf{v}(t)
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
F\cdot\mathbb{I} & G\cdot\mathbb{I}\\
\dot{F}\cdot\mathbb{I} & \dot{G}\cdot\mathbb{I}
\end{bmatrix}\mathbf{x}_0
\]
where \(\mathbb{I}\) is \(3\times 3\) and
\begin{align}
F &= 1 - \frac{a}{r_0}(1 - \cos(\Delta E))\\
G &= \Delta t + \sqrt{\frac{a^3}{\mu}}(\sin(\Delta E) - \Delta E)\\
\dot{F} &= -\frac{\sqrt{a\mu}}{rr_0}\sin(\Delta E)\\
\dot{G} &= 1 + \frac{a}{r}(\cos(\Delta E) - 1)
\end{align}
The state transition matrix for this nonliear systme is defined as (Why?)
\[
\mathbf{\Phi}(t,t_0) =
\begin{bmatrix}
\mathbf{\Phi}_{11} & \mathbf{\Phi}_{12}\\
\mathbf{\Phi}_{21} & \mathbf{\Phi}_{22}
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\partial\mathbf{x}(t)}{\partial\mathbf{x}_0}
\end{bmatrix}
\]
Then it says subdividing the \(6\times 6\) state transition matrix into four \(3\times 3\) matrices \(\mathbf{\Phi}_{ij}\), and using \(F\) and \(G\) solutions to compute the required partial derivatives, leads to the following results: (Can some one walk we through the first one so I understand how these were derived?)
\begin{align}
\mathbf{\Phi}_{11} &= F\cdot\mathbb{I} + \mathbf{r}_0\frac{\partial F}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0} + \mathbf{v}_0\frac{\partial G}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0}\\
\mathbf{\Phi}_{12} &= G\cdot\mathbb{I} + \mathbf{r}_0\frac{\partial F}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0} + \mathbf{v}_0\frac{\partial G}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0}\\
\mathbf{\Phi}_{21} &= \dot{F}\cdot\mathbb{I} + \mathbf{r}_0\frac{\partial \dot{F}}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0} + \mathbf{v}_0\frac{\partial \dot{G}}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0}\\
\mathbf{\Phi}_{22} &= \dot{G}\cdot\mathbb{I} + \mathbf{r}_0\frac{\partial\dot{F}}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0} + \mathbf{v}_0\frac{\partial\dot{G}}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0}\\
\end{align}
The partial derivatives of the initial orbit radius \(r_0\) and velocity magnitude \(v_0\) are given by (Can someone explain this?)
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial r_0}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0} &= \frac{1}{r_0}\mathbf{r}_0^T\\
\frac{\partial r_0}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0} &= \mathbf{0}^T\\
\frac{\partial v_0}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0} &= \mathbf{0}^T\\
\frac{\partial v_0}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0} &= \frac{1}{v_0}\mathbf{v}_0^T
\end{align}
Using the definition of \(\sigma_0\equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu}}\mathbf{r}_0^T\mathbf{v}_0\), the partial of \(\sigma_0\) is
\begin{gather}
\frac{\partial\sigma_0}{\partial\mathbf{r}_0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu}}\mathbf{v}_0^T\\
\frac{\partial\sigma_0}{\partial\mathbf{v}_0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\mu}}\mathbf{r}_0^T
\end{gather}
To find the sensitivities of the semimajor axis \(a\) with respect to the initial state vectors, we write the energy equation as
\[
\frac{1}{a} = \frac{2}{r_0} - \frac{v_0^2}{\mu}
\]
Then let's introduce a place holder vector alpha.

To be continued... but if you know how to answer anything already asked, please do.

What is a state matrix?

A state matrix is a mathematical representation of the dynamics of a system. It is used to describe the state of a system at a given time, and how that state changes over time.

Why is state matrix derivation important for orbital mechanics?

State matrix derivation is important for orbital mechanics because it allows us to predict the future behavior of a spacecraft in orbit. By understanding the dynamics of the system, we can determine the position, velocity, and other important parameters of the spacecraft at any given time.

What are the key components of a state matrix for orbital mechanics?

The key components of a state matrix for orbital mechanics include the position and velocity of the spacecraft, as well as the gravitational forces acting on it from other bodies, such as planets or moons.

How is a state matrix derived for orbital mechanics?

A state matrix for orbital mechanics is derived using the laws of motion, specifically Newton's laws of gravitation and motion. These laws are used to calculate the forces acting on the spacecraft and how they affect its position and velocity over time.

What are some real-world applications of state matrix derivation in orbital mechanics?

State matrix derivation has many real-world applications in orbital mechanics, including predicting and planning spacecraft trajectories, calculating fuel requirements for orbital maneuvers, and determining the effects of gravitational perturbations on spacecraft orbits.