1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Equilibrium

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, a uniform beam of weight 520 N and length 3.4 m is suspended horizontally. On the left it is hinged to a wall; on the right is it supported by a cable bolted to the wall at distance D above the beam. The least tension that will snap the cable is 1200 N.

What value of D corresponds to that tension?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F in the x direction = 1200

3. The attempt at a solution
    That equation is a guess within itself..I really have no clue how I should go about solving this problem..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

The beam is in static equilibrium; it's not moving and not accelerating. Because of that, the sum of the forces be in the x and y directions must be 0.

That said, I don't think using forces is the best way to approach this problem. Try using torque: because the beam is not rotating, torque must be zero about any reference frame.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Oh ok so I would set it up like this,

[tex]\Sigma\tau[/tex] = 3.0meters(mg) + ???

The question marks meaning that I don't know what to put after that first 3meters multiplied by mass times gravity.

Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook