1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static Triple Vector Load Calculator

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out how to get this formula working for a few days now, and I *refuse* to give up.

There are three high points, with a line running down from each to a load W.
    Each of the lines A,B,C are at different angles to each other (x-y plane), and each of the lines depart the load to the high points at different angles (z-plane).
    The load is static, and there is no stretch or movement in the system.

By knowing only the angles of the lines and the weight of the load, how can I calculate the load on each line?

I have calculated this for a two rope system and it is simple trig, but for a three rope system I cannot seem to get it happening!
    I've tried solving using trigonometry, but I keep getting stuck. Today I've been trying to solve simultaneous vectors, but I still can't seem to get it right.

If anyone has any clues, or could help I would greatly appreciate it.
    I can also draw up a picture to show the system, if that helps.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    Some extra information that I've been trying to use for simultaneously solving is this;

If Vectors:
    A=[Ai, Aj, Ak]
    B=[Bi, Bj, Bk]
    C=[Ci, Cj, Ck]

Then for the system to be static:
    Ai + Bi + Ci = 0
    Aj + Bj + Cj = 0
    Ak + Bk + Ck = W

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook