1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics. Need help with equations to keep a desk lamp from tipping.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    Just joined PF and my mind is completely shutting down on me.

I need to design the base of a halogen desk lamp and am having a problem getting started. My biggest problem is finding the correct equation to use to begin calculating the numbers. It is a three dimensional problem. Can someone please help me with this.

I have attached a pdf file of the diagrams and known information. The basics are that the base needs to be circular and angles α and β are measured horizontally regardless of their position.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Sorry. I don't think I attached the pdf on the first try.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dealdoe22: You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. And then someone might check your math. We are not allowed to give you the relevant equations for your homework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook