1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Problem Tipping Refrigerator

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A refrigerator with a mass of 100kg measures 150cm high by 75 cm wide by 75 cm deep. How much force applied horizontally at the top edge of the front will make it start tipping backward? Assume that the center of mass is at the center of the refrigerator.

2. Relevant equations
    Moment= r x F

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not know how to start this problem. I have drawn a 3D figure of the refrigerator and have ∑Fy=mg+N (vector) and ∑Fx=F+Ff (force applied+force of friction, again vector). All the previous examples I was given were the typical ladder leaning on the wall type of questions but this one has three dimensions.

Any tips will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can look at this in 2D. A rectangle 150 cm tall and 75 cm wide with a force applied horizontally at the top. Note that for tipping to occur, the normal force must all be located where?

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Is the normal force located at the bottom edge of the rectangle since when it is tipping, it is focused on one place?

5. Apr 28, 2015 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Focused in one place yes but where along the bottom edge?

6. Apr 28, 2015 #5
    I was just thinking as a rectangle so on the vertex, but do we have to consider the depth in 3D as well?

7. Apr 28, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To be pedantic, it says the force is applied at the front top edge. Your FBD should be a side view, so the depth matters but the width doesn't. However, since depth and width are equal here it's the same either way.

8. Apr 28, 2015 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gosh! I wanted to see the 3D figure, but then it occurred to me,"I only have a 2D monitor."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted