Statics Problem Tipping Refrigerator

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the amount of force needed to make a refrigerator start tipping backwards. The refrigerator has a mass of 100kg and dimensions of 150cm by 75cm by 75cm, with the center of mass assumed to be at its center. The equation used to solve this problem is Moment = r x F, and the discussion centers around finding the location of the normal force needed for tipping to occur. It is determined that the force is applied at the front top edge, and the FBD should be a side view. The conversation also touches on the consideration of the depth in 3D, but since it is equal to the width in this case, it does not affect the solution.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

A refrigerator with a mass of 100kg measures 150cm high by 75 cm wide by 75 cm deep. How much force applied horizontally at the top edge of the front will make it start tipping backward? Assume that the center of mass is at the center of the refrigerator.

Homework Equations

Moment= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start this problem. I have drawn a 3D figure of the refrigerator and have ∑Fy=mg+N (vector) and ∑Fx=F+Ff (force applied+force of friction, again vector). All the previous examples I was given were the typical ladder leaning on the wall type of questions but this one has three dimensions.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

A refrigerator with a mass of 100kg measures 150cm high by 75 cm wide by 75 cm deep. How much force applied horizontally at the top edge of the front will make it start tipping backward? Assume that the center of mass is at the center of the refrigerator.

Homework Equations

Moment= r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start this problem. I have drawn a 3D figure of the refrigerator and have ∑Fy=mg+N (vector) and ∑Fx=F+Ff (force applied+force of friction, again vector). All the previous examples I was given were the typical ladder leaning on the wall type of questions but this one has three dimensions.

Any tips will be appreciated.
You can look at this in 2D. A rectangle 150 cm tall and 75 cm wide with a force applied horizontally at the top. Note that for tipping to occur, the normal force must all be located where?

Is the normal force located at the bottom edge of the rectangle since when it is tipping, it is focused on one place?

spacetimedude said:
Is the normal force located at the bottom edge of the rectangle since when it is tipping, it is focused on one place?
Focused in one place yes but where along the bottom edge?

I was just thinking as a rectangle so on the vertex, but do we have to consider the depth in 3D as well?

spacetimedude said:
I was just thinking as a rectangle so on the vertex, but do we have to consider the depth in 3D as well?
To be pedantic, it says the force is applied at the front top edge. Your FBD should be a side view, so the depth matters but the width doesn't. However, since depth and width are equal here it's the same either way.

Gosh! I wanted to see the 3D figure, but then it occurred to me,"I only have a 2D monitor."

Likes PhanthomJay

1. How can I prevent my refrigerator from tipping over?

To prevent your refrigerator from tipping over, make sure it is placed on a flat and level surface. You can also use adjustable feet or shims to ensure stability. It is also important to evenly distribute the weight of items inside the fridge and avoid overloading the door with heavy items.

2. What factors contribute to a refrigerator tipping over?

The main factors that contribute to a refrigerator tipping over are uneven weight distribution, an unlevel surface, and excessive force applied to the fridge door. If the fridge is not placed on a level surface or the weight inside is not evenly distributed, it can become top-heavy and easily tip over.

3. How do I calculate the tipping point for my refrigerator?

The tipping point for a refrigerator can be calculated using the principles of statics, specifically the equilibrium equations. You will need to know the weight and location of the center of mass for the fridge, as well as the force and location of any external forces acting on it. By setting the sum of all the forces and moments equal to zero, you can determine the tipping point.

4. Is it safe to move a refrigerator without professional help?

Moving a refrigerator can be dangerous and is best done with professional help. If you must move it yourself, make sure to secure the doors and shelves, and evenly distribute the weight inside. Use a dolly or other equipment to safely move the fridge, and be careful not to apply excessive force to the doors.

5. Can I use anti-tip brackets to prevent my refrigerator from tipping?

Yes, anti-tip brackets can be used to prevent a refrigerator from tipping. These brackets are typically attached to the wall or floor behind the fridge and help to secure it in place. However, it is still important to ensure that the fridge is placed on a level surface and that the weight inside is evenly distributed to prevent tipping.