Find Force to Tilt a Refrigerator

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the solution to tilting a tall refrigerator involves calculating the necessary force to exert on the front of the refrigerator, using the equations for torque and applying the force perpendicular to the vertical and horizontal surfaces. The minimum force required to start the tipping is found to be 350 N.
logan3

Homework Statement

You are trying to tilt a very tall refrigerator (2.0 m high, 1.0 m deep, 1.4 m wide, and 100 kg) so that your friend can put a blanket underneath to slide it out of the kitchen. Determine the force that you need to exert on the front of the refrigerator at the start of its tipping. You push horizontally 1.4 m above the floor.

[itex]L_{height} = 2.0 m[/itex]
[itex]L_{depth} = 1.0 m[/itex]
[itex]L_{width} = 1.4 m[/itex]
[itex]L_{applied} = 1.4 m[/itex]
[itex]m = 100 kg[/itex]
[itex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau_{ccw} = \tau_{cw} \Rightarrow \vec F_w \frac {L_{depth}}{2} = \vec F_a L_{applied} \Rightarrow \vec F_a = \vec F_w \frac {L_{depth}}{2L_{applied}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The bottom right corner will be our axis of rotation. In order for the refrigerator to tilt the applied, clockwise torque by the person must be larger than the weight, counterclockwise torque by the refrigerator. The applied force of the person is applied perpendicular to the vertical surface (height), while the weight force of the refrigerator is applied perpendicular to the horizontal surface (base/depth). The problem says I am pushing horizontally from the front of the fridge, therefore the depth is the horizontal length.

[itex]\vec F_a = (100 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) \frac {(1.0m)}{2(1.4 m)} = 350 N[/itex]

Therefore, the moment when the fridge starts to tilt is when the applied force is > 350 N.

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. How much force is needed to tilt a refrigerator?

The amount of force needed to tilt a refrigerator depends on several factors such as the weight of the refrigerator, the friction between the refrigerator and the floor, and the angle at which it needs to be tilted. It is recommended to use a force gauge or consult the manufacturer's specifications for the specific refrigerator to determine the exact amount of force needed.

2. How do I calculate the force required to tilt a refrigerator?

The force required to tilt a refrigerator can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the refrigerator in kilograms, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). However, this calculation may not be accurate as it does not take into account other factors such as friction and angle of tilt.

3. Is it safe to tilt a refrigerator?

It is generally safe to tilt a refrigerator as long as it is done carefully and with the proper equipment. However, it is always recommended to have someone assist you and to follow proper safety precautions to avoid any potential injuries or damage to the refrigerator.

4. Why do I need to tilt a refrigerator?

Tilting a refrigerator is necessary in certain situations such as when moving it to a different location or when cleaning underneath it. Tilting the refrigerator allows you to access the back or bottom parts of the appliance, which can be difficult to clean or reach otherwise.

5. Can I tilt a refrigerator by myself?

It is not recommended to tilt a refrigerator by yourself as it can be heavy and difficult to control. It is best to have someone assist you or to use proper equipment such as a dolly to safely tilt and move the refrigerator.