1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics problem

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1

I am having a bit of trouble solving statics problems. its actually only 1 issue. I can do the trig and rest.

The question , like the one below...

...usually asks to find the tension in one of the strings.In this case they asked for the tension in AC.

My question is, what do i take as the hypotenuse?

Do i take the weight as the hypotenuse or do i take the tension as the hypotenuse?

Below is how i have attempted to solve the question.

However, taking the weight as the 'opposite', i get T = 3g / sin 30
    Where as if i was taking the hypotenuse as the weight, then the answer would be correct. (14.7 N)

Am i drawing the diagram correctly? I am inserting the angles correctly?

I asked my teacher this question, and he said that you usually take the weight as the hypotenuse - however, he said this concerning mass-on-an -inclined-plane type questions, not these types of questions.

This is probably the only thing that will bring me down on my mechanics paper :frown: , so i would be very happy to solve this once and for all.

Initially i pressed submit instead of preview, hence the reason the link didnt work!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't see the image and the link doesnt work.
  4. Jan 9, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

The only thing to be sure of in Statics is that the Sum Force Vectors is equal to zero (= m a_vector) ! You add Vectors by placing them (sequentially) tail-to-tip, keeping each one parallel to its Free-Body-Diagram arrow .... a polygon will be formed.
    In the case of three Force vectors, the polygon will be a triangle, but NOT always a Right triangle, so a lot of the time NONE of the Forces are a hypotenuse.
  5. Jan 9, 2006 #4
    This is a two unknown problem so you need two equations.

I would use the strings as the hypotenuses and T1(AC) & T2(BC) as their respective tensions.

So, T1cos30 has to equal T2cos60 to cancel x forces Eq.1
    And T1sin30 + T2sin60 = mg Eq.2

T1 = 0.577 T2 & 0.5T1 + 0.866T2 = 29.4N

So from Eq.1, T1 = 0.577T2, and plug & chug to get

T1 = 13.16N & T2 = 25.45N

I think..
  6. Jan 10, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

If you draw the Force Addition Polygon, you see that In this case,
    the two Tensions are the legs of a right triangle, with 29.4 N hypotenuse.
    T_CA = 29.4 N sin(30) , and T_CB = 29.4 sin(60) .

In more typical situations, you obtain horizontal and vertical components of each Diagonal Force by treating it as the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  7. Jan 10, 2006 #6

Thanks for your reply.Thing is the answer is given in the question. It says, "show that tension of AC is 14.7N". So it can't be 29.4N, unless i have misunderstood your post :confused:
  8. Jan 10, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

The way it works is that you :
    1) draw the Free-Body-Diagram
    2) Draw the Force Polygon
    . . . if the solution is not obvious yet, choose coordinate axes
    3) separate each Force into components along the axes, and
    4) sum the Force components separately.

Step 2 was what I drew for you, you should know some trig !

- - - - - - - - - - -

Multiply by sin(30) !

- - - - - - - - - - -
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  9. Jan 10, 2006 #8

:blushing: I can see now! In my defence i have been travelling all day :zzz: . Thanks for your help. I will put this into practice with a few other questions and if i have any further queries, i will repost!

Once again, thanks :smile:

ps: damn, i didnt even read your reply correctly, i shouldve noticed the
    T_CA = 29.4 N sin(30) !
  10. Apr 28, 2008 #9
    hi every body i want to exchange my data with someone that like to more give information from statics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?