Simple Statics Question: Truss Structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method of sections to solve for equilibrium in a truss structure. The individual mentions needing to check for all necessary forces and the placement of support reactions in both the X and Y directions. It is also noted that assuming ED is a zero force member is incorrect and that it should be considered a '2 force' member anchored at point E.
cloudsync

Homework Statement

fPO1U5I.png

Homework Equations

∑M = 0, ∑Fx = 0, ∑FY = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

QbIz4Sq.png

If so,

p9oacDR.png

If so, I will be using the method of sections to cut along the red line as indicated in the picture.

This gives me 3 equations of equilibrium as shown above. However, before solving these equations i first need to check whether my equations/diagrams are contain all the forces necessary.

I know that there is a support reaction in the Y direction of magnitude W at point A.
However, where do I put the support reaction in the x direction? From what I understand there needs to be a support reaction in the X direction as there is a moment generated from the W down and the W up.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume that ED is a zero force member, the truss will be unstable because it will only have one pinned support at A, and rotate clockwise toward the ground, taking the engine along with it. So this is an incorrect assumption. Instead, consider ED as a '2 force' member anchored at E.

Related to Simple Statics Question: Truss Structure

1. What is a truss structure?

A truss structure is a type of structural system made up of interconnected triangular units that work together to distribute loads. It is commonly used in bridges, roofs, and other structures to provide stability and support.

2. How does a truss structure work?

A truss structure works by using a series of interconnected triangular units to transfer loads and forces to the supports. This allows for the weight of the structure to be evenly distributed and for the structure to remain stable.

3. What are the advantages of using a truss structure?

There are several advantages of using a truss structure, including its high strength-to-weight ratio, which allows for efficient use of materials. Truss structures are also versatile and can be customized for different applications.

4. What factors are important to consider when designing a truss structure?

When designing a truss structure, factors such as the type of load it will be supporting, the materials used, and the overall geometry of the structure are important to consider. It is also important to ensure that the truss is able to resist any potential failure modes, such as buckling or excessive deflection.

5. Are there any limitations to using a truss structure?

While truss structures have many advantages, they also have some limitations. For example, they are not well-suited for withstanding torsional or bending forces. Additionally, the design of a truss structure can become complex and costly for larger or more unique structures.