Statics Question -- Bar and roller resting on a circular surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult problem involving calculating the normal force and joint reaction of a bar at a pivot point. The problem involves equations and trigonometry, and requires the angle of the normal force to be known in order to solve it.
dksland

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-17_16-18-36.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Honestly, I don't even know how to begin this problem. I've drawn myself some free body diagrams, but I'm uncertain of all of them. The weight of the bar is just (0,-mg) at .9r from the pivot point. But I don't know how to calculate the weight that's perpendicular to the pivot point because there's no angles so that doesn't help me. Is there an x component to the normal force? I feel like there should be, but I don't know how to calculate it because there is no x component to the weight. This was the first of 9 problems... I did the other 8 no problem. This one though... this one blows my mind for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is hard to read.

You can calculate the angle based on the given distances and some trigonometry.

dksland said:
Is there an x component to the normal force?
The normal force, by definition, is at right angles to the surface, so yes, there is an x component.
You have three forces: the normal force at A, the weight, and the joint reaction at O.
You have three unknowns: the magnitudes of the normal force, the horizontal component of the joint reaction, and its vertical component. Create symbols for them.
You have three equations: horizontal force balance, vertical force balance, and torque balance. Try to write those equations.

haruspex said:
You have three unknowns: the magnitudes of the normal force, the horizontal component of the joint reaction, and its vertical component. Create symbols for them.
You have three equations: horizontal force balance, vertical force balance, and torque balance. Try to write those equations.
You will still need the angle as parameter to set up an equation that relates torque and normal force (because the direction of the normal force is not known in advance).

mfb said:
You will still need the angle as parameter to set up an equation that relates torque and normal force (because the direction of the normal force is not known in advance).
I'm not sure what you are saying there. The direction of the normal is just a matter of geometry, no?

Yes, that's what I said in post 2 already, and it has to be calculated to solve the problem.

What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects and systems in a state of rest or constant motion.

What is the significance of studying statics?

Studying statics allows us to understand the behavior of structures and systems under different conditions, such as forces and moments acting on them. This knowledge is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures, machines, and other systems.

What is the difference between a bar and a roller in statics?

In statics, a bar is a rigid body that can only undergo translational motion, while a roller is a point that can only undergo rotational motion. In other words, a bar can slide along its axis, while a roller can only rotate about its axis.

What is a circular surface in statics?

A circular surface in statics refers to a surface that is curved and has a constant radius. This surface is often used to model the behavior of objects that rotate or roll, such as wheels and gears.

How does a bar and roller behave when resting on a circular surface in statics?

When a bar and roller are resting on a circular surface, the roller will rotate about its axis, while the bar will slide along its axis. This behavior is due to the forces and moments acting on the objects, which are affected by the curvature of the circular surface.