Truss Analysis: Finding Forces in Marked Members - Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the forces in marked members of a truss using joint reactions and lengths/angles of the members. The suggestion is made to first find the joint reactions and then proceed with solving for the member forces. Reference is also made to using specific equations for solving at a particular node.
hobbyenthusia

Homework Statement

Here is a link to a picture of the problem
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/374/truss.jpg"
I have to find the forces in the members marked with an x.
2. The attempt at a solution
I found the support reactions, but I'm not sure if I need them. Should I try to find the lengths of the members and the angles between them next?

truss analysis*

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is always best to find the joint reactions first. Then whether you solve for the member forces by joints or sections, you yes need the angles/lengths

If you are still having trouble, try to solve node G using these:
G[y]=0= -20 + EG[y]
and
G[x]=0= -20 + FG + EG[x].
Then it should be easy enough to start working your way down.

1. How do I determine the forces in a truss member?

To determine the forces in a truss member, you can use the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint in the truss, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss to isolate a specific member and analyzing the forces acting on it.

2. What information is needed to find the forces in a truss member?

To find the forces in a truss member, you will need the geometry of the truss (length of each member and angles between them), the external loads acting on the truss, and the support conditions at each joint (fixed, pinned, or roller). You may also need to know the material properties of the truss members, such as their cross-sectional area and Young's modulus.

3. How do I set up equations to solve for the forces in a truss member?

To set up equations for solving the forces in a truss member, you can use the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces equals zero) and the geometry of the truss to determine the unknown forces. You may also need to use trigonometric equations to account for the angles between the truss members.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a truss?

Some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing a truss include forgetting to account for all external loads and support conditions, not correctly labeling the forces as tension or compression, and not considering the stability of the truss as a whole. It is also important to double-check your calculations and ensure that they are consistent with the assumptions made in your analysis.

5. Are there any software programs that can assist with truss analysis?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can assist with truss analysis. Some popular options include SAP2000, RISA-3D, and SkyCiv Structural 3D. These programs can help with the visualization and calculation of forces in truss members, but it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and assumptions involved in truss analysis.