Stationary Electron accelerated through potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a stationary electron after being accelerated by a potential difference of 500V. The individual is uncertain of how to calculate this velocity and is seeking help. The provided link and equation (v^2= 2eV/m) assist in finding the velocity.
dr.mt
I have this question that asks what the velocity of the stationary electron is after being accelerated by potential difference. The potential difference is 500v, but the specific potential difference doesn't concern me. I'm uncertain of how i get the velocity, because i don't know an equation for velocity affected by potential difference. i feel as though this is incredibly simple and I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the energy might be?

Oh alright, yep simple mistake. it'd be qV=(mv^2)/2 converted to veloctiy= (2qV/m)^(1/2) right?

Thank you ZapperZ. v^2= 2eV/m

What is a stationary electron?

A stationary electron is an electron that is not moving or in a state of rest.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts.

How does an electron accelerate through potential difference?

When a stationary electron is placed in an electric field with a potential difference, it experiences a force due to the electric field. This force causes the electron to accelerate and gain kinetic energy.

What happens to the electron's energy as it accelerates through potential difference?

The electron's energy increases as it accelerates through potential difference. This increase in energy is due to the work done by the electric field on the electron.

What are some real-life applications of stationary electrons accelerated through potential difference?

Some common examples include cathode ray tubes used in televisions and computer monitors, particle accelerators used in scientific research, and x-ray machines used in medical imaging.