Statistical mechanics problem about a paramagnet

In summary: Sorry, I was looking at part (c). The solution to (d) is not obvious to me, I'll have to think a bit.
Clara Chung
Homework Statement
Attached below
Relevant Equations
Attached below

I don't know how to solve part c and d.
Attempt:
c) B_eff=B+e<M>
Substitute T_c into the equation in part b,
=> (B_eff-B)/e = Nμ_B tanh(B_eff/(N*e*μ_B))
Then?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show what you got for part b?

Likes Clara Chung
DrClaude said:
Could you show what you got for part b?

I just rewrite the equation I found on part A to an equation containing B_eff only... is it what a self-consistency equation mean?...

Clara Chung said:
is it what a self-consistency equation mean?...
A self-consistency equation for ##B_\textrm{eff}## means that you get an equation for ##B_\textrm{eff}## that depends on itself. You could solve it numerically by guessing the value of ##B_\textrm{eff}## in the hyperbolic tangent, then calculating ##B_\textrm{eff}## on the left-hand side, and iterate until the value of ##B_\textrm{eff}## doesn't change anymore.

Your equation for (b) is correct. For (c), I think you can assume that ##B_\textrm{eff}## is small or, more properly
$$
\mu_\mathrm{B} B_\textrm{eff} \ll k T
$$

Likes Clara Chung
DrClaude said:
A self-consistency equation for ##B_\textrm{eff}## means that you get an equation for ##B_\textrm{eff}## that depends on itself. You could solve it numerically by guessing the value of ##B_\textrm{eff}## in the hyperbolic tangent, then calculating ##B_\textrm{eff}## on the left-hand side, and iterate until the value of ##B_\textrm{eff}## doesn't change anymore.

Your equation for (b) is correct. For (c), I think you can assume that ##B_\textrm{eff}## is small or, more properly
$$
\mu_\mathrm{B} B_\textrm{eff} \ll k T
$$
I did part c using your hint
N7-rTdNZiC43p8GB6iHPa_nLYwV0aQlJI1sWdYlWcQiJqABjgP.png

However in part d), how to deal with the cube term T^3/T_c^3?

Clara Chung said:
I did part c using your hint
You didn't get the expected answer, which is given in the question. There is no need to keep the cubic terms.

Likes Clara Chung
DrClaude said:
You didn't get the expected answer, which is given in the question. There is no need to keep the cubic terms.
Thank you, the answer I displayed above is for part d. The (T/T_C)^3 in the last line should be (T/T_C)^3/2. The expect term have no factor (T/T_C)^3/2, but there is one in my expression...

Above, you wrote
$$
B_\textrm{eff} = e N \mu_\mathrm{B} \left( \frac{B_\textrm{eff} \mu_\mathrm{B}}{kT} - \frac{B_\textrm{eff}^3 \mu_\mathrm{B}^3}{3 k^3T^3} \right)
$$
which means you took
$$
\tanh(x) \approx x - \frac{1}{3} x^3
$$
Try instead ##\tanh(x) \approx x##.

DrClaude said:
Above, you wrote
$$
B_\textrm{eff} = e N \mu_\mathrm{B} \left( \frac{B_\textrm{eff} \mu_\mathrm{B}}{kT} - \frac{B_\textrm{eff}^3 \mu_\mathrm{B}^3}{3 k^3T^3} \right)
$$
which means you took
$$
\tanh(x) \approx x - \frac{1}{3} x^3
$$
Try instead ##\tanh(x) \approx x##.
However, in part d the question says expand it to 3rd order?

Clara Chung said:
However, in part d the question says expand it to 3rd order?
Sorry, I was looking at part (c). The solution to (d) is not obvious to me, I'll have to think a bit.

In post #5, on the last line, you made an error when taking the square root.

To get the equation given in the problem, I had to assume also that ##T/T_C \approx 1##, as stated in the problem.

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is a paramagnet?

A paramagnet is a material that is weakly attracted to an external magnetic field. It is characterized by having unpaired electrons in its atoms, which align with the external magnetic field and create a net magnetic moment.

2. How does statistical mechanics relate to paramagnetism?

Statistical mechanics is the study of the behavior of large systems of particles, such as atoms or molecules. It can be used to explain the macroscopic properties of a paramagnetic material, such as its susceptibility to an external magnetic field, by considering the behavior of its individual particles.

3. What is the statistical mechanics problem about a paramagnet?

The statistical mechanics problem about a paramagnet involves calculating the average magnetic moment of a large number of particles in a paramagnetic material, and how it changes with temperature and external magnetic field strength.

4. How is the Curie law related to statistical mechanics and paramagnetism?

The Curie law, which states that the magnetic susceptibility of a paramagnetic material is inversely proportional to temperature, can be derived from statistical mechanics principles. It explains how the average magnetic moment of particles in a paramagnet changes with temperature.

5. What are some applications of statistical mechanics in understanding paramagnetism?

Statistical mechanics is used in various fields, such as materials science and condensed matter physics, to understand the behavior of paramagnetic materials and their properties. It is also used in the development of technologies such as magnetic storage devices and MRI machines.