What Does R(n) Represent in a One-Dimensional Chain Model?

In summary: Seems like a typo, because there is no way to get a length of a point. Did you mean the position of R(n)?In summary, the problem is considering a chain with N >> 1 segments of length 1, where one end is at the origin and the other is at a point R. The segments can face left or right, and the number of segments facing right is denoted as n. The number of possible configurations in the chain is 2^N, and the number of configurations with n segments facing right is C(N, n). R(n) is the end point of the chain, which is a function of n, and the formula for R(n) is 2(n - N/2). This
usn7564

Homework Statement

Consider a chain with N >> 1 segments of length 1. One end of the chain is at the origin, the other at a point R. In this onedimensional model the segments may face left or right. The number of segments facing right is n.

1: What is the number of possible configurations in the chain? [This I have answered, 2^N]

2: Find the number of configurations with n segments facing right? Which is the associated R(n)? [Did first part, C(N, n)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I frankly don't get what the hell R(n) is supposed to be. The answer is R(n) = 2(n - N/2)

Analyzing that I concluded that R(n) is 0 if the number segments facing left = number of segments facing right. Othewise the length of R(n) is [number of right facing segments - number of left facing segments] * 2. Which tells me just about nothing, what on Earth is R(n) supposed to represent? I was thinking maybe the left segments 'take out' the right segments and R(n) represents what's left, but that doesn't explain the factor 2 because every segment is of length 1.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Think I figured it out. Was right with initial thinking after all

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
usn7564 said:
One end of the chain is at the origin, the other at a point R. In this onedimensional model the segments may face left or right. The number of segments facing right is n.

I frankly don't get what the hell R(n) is supposed to be.
It's stated in the problem: it is the end point of the chain, which is a function of n, the number of segments facing right.

usn7564 said:
Othewise the length of R(n) is [number of right facing segments - number of left facing segments] * 2.
Are you sure about that?

What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of large systems of particles, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It aims to explain how macroscopic properties of a system arise from the microscopic behavior of its individual components.

What are the main concepts in statistical physics?

The main concepts in statistical physics include entropy, thermodynamics, probability, and statistical mechanics. Entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system, while thermodynamics deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. Probability is used to describe the likelihood of certain outcomes in a system, and statistical mechanics provides a framework for understanding the behavior of large systems based on the behavior of individual particles.

What are the applications of statistical physics?

Statistical physics has a wide range of applications, including in condensed matter physics, astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science. It is used to study phase transitions, critical phenomena, and the behavior of complex systems. It is also essential in the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors and superconductors.

How does statistical physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics deals with the behavior of individual particles, while statistical physics focuses on the collective behavior of large systems of particles. Classical physics is deterministic, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted based on its initial conditions. In contrast, statistical physics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and uses statistical methods to describe the overall behavior of a system.

What are the key principles of statistical physics?

The key principles of statistical physics include the laws of thermodynamics, the principle of microscopic reversibility, and the ergodic hypothesis. The laws of thermodynamics describe the relationships between heat, energy, and work in a system. The principle of microscopic reversibility states that the microscopic dynamics of a system should be reversible, while the ergodic hypothesis assumes that a system will eventually explore all possible states in its phase space.