1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical physics

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a chain with N >> 1 segments of length 1. One end of the chain is at the origin, the other at a point R. In this onedimensional model the segments may face left or right. The number of segments facing right is n.

1: What is the number of possible configurations in the chain? [This I have answered, 2^N]

2: Find the number of configurations with n segments facing right? Which is the associated R(n)? [Did first part, C(N, n)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I frankly don't get what the hell R(n) is supposed to be. The answer is R(n) = 2(n - N/2)

Analyzing that I concluded that R(n) is 0 if the number segments facing left = number of segments facing right. Othewise the length of R(n) is [number of right facing segments - number of left facing segments] * 2. Which tells me just about nothing, what on Earth is R(n) supposed to represent? I was thinking maybe the left segments 'take out' the right segments and R(n) represents what's left, but that doesn't explain the factor 2 because every segment is of length 1.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Think I figured it out. Was right with initial thinking after all

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's stated in the problem: it is the end point of the chain, which is a function of n, the number of segments facing right.

Are you sure about that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted