1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics: Multivariate Dist/Functions of RVs

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) A point (X1,X2,X3) are is chosen at random. X1-3 are uniform distributions across the interval [0,1]
    Determine P[(X1-.5)2 + X2-.5)2 + X3-.5)2 ≤ .25]

2) X and Y are random variables with the joint pdf: f(x,y) = 2(x + y) for 0≤x≤y≤1, 0 otherwise.
    Find the pdf of Z = X + Y

2. The attempt at a solution

1) So I know the pdf for each one of the random variables is f(x) = 1 when 0≤x≤1
    Imagining it in a grid, it would be the volume of the sphere with radius .5 centered at (.5,.5,.5). I am uncertain where to begin applying the pdf of each of the random variables to the graph of the probability needed to be found.

2) I know this has appeared once in another topic, but I can't figure out the bounds of this problem (if I'm not messing up elsewhere).
    So the graph envisioned would be the points that lie above the line y=x, bounded by y <= 1, x >=0.
    So what I would do from this point is attempt to find the solution for (1-x to 1)∫f(x,z-x)dx = (1-x to 1)∫2zdx = 2z -2z + 2zx = 2zx. What is wrong with this reasoning/where do I approach this problem after this?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted