1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics question (poisson distribution, multivariate )

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On average, 2.5 telephone calls per minute are received at a corporation's switchboard. Making appropriate assumptions about the distribution ( provide justification ), find the probability that at any given minute there will be more than 2 calls.

2. Relevant equations

No idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the joint p.d.f of X and Y, f(x,y), be given by

..................x
    y..1.....0.3..0.2..0.1
    ....2 ....0.1..0.1..0.2
    (ignore the dots)
    a) Determine marginal densities
    b) compute the means and variances of X and Y
    c) Calculate sigma(?) xy = cov (X,Y) and the correlation coefficient ρ. Are X and Y independent ?
    d) Let Z = X+Y. determine k(z)+P(Z=z), z = 2,3,4,5. determine the mean and variance.

2. Relevant equations

good question

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have one

Well, how do I do this? I do not understand it. If anybody has some insight on either problem, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Got the first one now. About the 2nd one - I THINK I now have b and partly c. but c required the marginal densities, correct ( for the correlation coefficient ) ? I don't know how to do that. The example in the book just tells me ok here it is..without explaining how to get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook