Solving Poisson Distribution Problems: Questions on Calls/Minute

In summary, the probability of a telephone operator receiving two phone calls in a minute is given by the formula f(2, 4/3) = (4/3)^2 e^(-4/3)/ 2!, and the probability of receiving at least two phone calls in a minute is given by 1- [ f(0, 4/3) + f(1,4/3)]. These formulas can be used to calculate the desired probabilities for a Poisson random number X representing the number of phone calls per minute to the operator.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A telephone operator receives four phone calls in three minutes on the average. Let a Poisson random number X denote the number of phone calls per minute to this operator.

(a) Find the probability that this operator receives two phone calls in a minute.

(b) Find the probability that this operator receives at least two phone calls in a minute.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) lamba = (4/3)(1) = (4/3) x = 2
f(2, 4/3) = (4/3)^2 e^(-4/3)/ 2!

b) 1- [ f(0, 4/3) + f(1,4/3)]

I just want to make sure these will give me the correct answer because I must rely on the formula for the test. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

A telephone operator receives four phone calls in three minutes on the average. Let a Poisson random number X denote the number of phone calls per minute to this operator.

(a) Find the probability that this operator receives two phone calls in a minute.

(b) Find the probability that this operator receives at least two phone calls in a minute.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) lamba = (4/3)(1) = (4/3) x = 2
f(2, 4/3) = (4/3)^2 e^(-4/3)/ 2!

b) 1- [ f(0, 4/3) + f(1,4/3)]

I just want to make sure these will give me the correct answer because I must rely on the formula for the test. thank you

Those look right to me.

Likes toothpaste666
thank you

1. What is the Poisson Distribution?

The Poisson Distribution is a probability distribution that predicts the number of times an event will occur within a specific time interval, assuming that the events occur at a constant rate and are independent of each other.

2. How is the Poisson Distribution used to solve problems on calls per minute?

The Poisson Distribution can be used to calculate the probability of a specific number of calls occurring in a given minute. This can be useful for predicting call volumes and optimizing staffing levels in call centers.

3. What is the formula for the Poisson Distribution?

The formula for the Poisson Distribution is P(x; μ) = (e^-μ) * (μ^x) / x!, where x is the number of events, μ is the mean number of events, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

4. How do you calculate the mean of a Poisson Distribution?

The mean of a Poisson Distribution is equal to the rate of the event occurring per unit of time. In the context of calls per minute, the mean would be the average number of calls that occur in one minute.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Poisson Distribution in call centers?

Call centers often use the Poisson Distribution to forecast call volumes and determine optimal staffing levels. It can also be used to analyze call patterns and identify potential issues, such as high call wait times or call abandonment rates.