Statistics: Standard Deviation Prob.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the standard deviation of a list of data using the formula s^2=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^n(x_i -\overline{x})^2}{n-1}. The correct equation for standard deviation is s=\sqrt{s^2}. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of x_i and \overline{x} in the formula and provides an example of how to calculate the standard deviation by hand.
Mesmer

Homework Statement

This is my data: 42.4, 65.7, 29.8, 58.7, 52.1, 55.8, 57.0, 68.7, 67.3, 67.3, 54.3, 54.0 I need to find the standard deviation of this list of data.
2. Homework Equations standard deviation= [tex] : s^2=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^n(x_i -\overline{x})}{n-1}[/tex] Actually the standard deviation is the square root of this expression.

3. I can use a statistics package like minitab or excell to solve this but how would I do it my hand? where would I start?[/b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is not correct, is that what messed you up? It should be:

[tex]s^2=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^n(x_i -\overline{x})^2}{n-1}[/tex]

If that was not the problem then is there something you don't know how to do with the formula? Do you know what [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] are?

[itex]x_i[/itex] represents the data (for example x_1 is 42.4 and x_4 is 58.8)

And [itex]\overline{x}[/itex] is the mean = [tex]\frac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n}[/tex]

Here is an example.

My data are the following: 14.3, 17.5, 15.6

So the mean, [tex]\overline{x} = \frac{14.3+17.5+15.6}{3} = 15.8[/tex]

So then

[tex](x_1 -\overline{x})^2 = (14.3 - 15.8)^2 = (-1.5)^2 = 2.25[/tex]
[tex](x_1 -\overline{x})^2 = (17.5 - 15.8)^2 = (1.7)^2 = 2.89[/tex]
[tex](x_1 -\overline{x})^2 = (15.6 - 15.8)^2 = (-.2)^2 = .04[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]s^2 = \frac{2.25 + 2.89 + .04}{3-1} = \frac{5.18}{2} = 2.59[/tex]

So our standard deviation s is then the square root of that which means s = 1.60935

Last edited:
Thanks, I did latex my equation wrong, but you also cleared up my confusion about how the expression works. :) I see my mistake in understanding now.

The equation is also for variance. If you want to find the actual standard deviation, you'll still need to take the square root of that.

By the way since
[tex]\Sigma_{i=1}^n (x_i- \overline{x})^2= \Sigma_{i=1}^nx^2- \overline{x}\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i+ \overline{x}^2\Sigma_{i=1}^n 1[/tex]
[tex]= \Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i^2- 2n\overline{x}+ n\overline{x}= \Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i^2- n\overlne{x}[/tex]
(because
[itex]\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i= n\overline{x}[/itex]
and
[itex]\Sigma_{i=1}^n 1= n[/itex]

[tex]\sigma^2= \frac{1}{n-1}\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i^2- \frac{n}{n-1}\overline{x}[/tex]

That's often easier to calculate.

1. What is standard deviation and why is it important in statistics?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It is important in statistics because it helps us understand the variability and distribution of a set of data, allowing us to make more accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions.

2. How is standard deviation calculated?

Standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the variance. The variance is found by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean. This calculation is done to measure the spread of the data from the mean.

3. What does a high or low standard deviation indicate?

A high standard deviation indicates that the data is more spread out from the mean, while a low standard deviation indicates that the data is clustered closely around the mean. In other words, a high standard deviation suggests that the data is more diverse and less predictable, while a low standard deviation suggests that the data is more consistent and predictable.

4. How is standard deviation used in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, standard deviation is used as a measure of the variability of the data. It is used to calculate the standard error, which is then used to determine the likelihood of obtaining a certain result by chance. A small standard deviation indicates a lower standard error and a higher likelihood of obtaining a significant result.

5. Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is the square root of the variance which is calculated using squared differences. A negative standard deviation would not make sense in the context of measuring the spread of data.