Solving Stearic Acid Problems - Questions & Answers

• Thread starter max1205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation involved two questions about stearic acid solutions. The first question asked for the mass of stearic acid present in a drop of solution containing 2 grams per litre of stearic acid in acetone. The second question asked for the volume of stearic acid left from the drop of solution when all the acetone is evaporated, given the density of stearic acid. The provided solutions for both questions were 2 x 10^-5 g and 2 x 10^-8 L respectively, but the person asking the questions was unsure if they were correct.
max1205
Hi,

I have two questions that I am stuck on involving stearic acid solutions.

1a) 0.01mL of a solution containing 2 grams per litre of stearic acid in acetone is used. What mass of stearic acid is present in this drop of solution?

Solution:

0.01ML solution X (1L/1000mL solution) X 2g stearic acid/1L solution
= 2 x 10^-5 g

1b)The density of stearic acid is 0.9408g/mL. What will be the volume of stearic acid left from the drop of solution when all the acetone is evaporated?

Solution:

.00002g stearic acid X (1mL/0.9408g stearic acid) X (1L/1000mL)
= 2 x 10^-8 L

These are the best solutions I could come up with but I have a feeling both are incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
max1205 said:
Hi,

I have two questions that I am stuck on involving stearic acid solutions.

1a) 0.01mL of a solution containing 2 grams per litre of stearic acid in acetone is used. What mass of stearic acid is present in this drop of solution?

Solution:

0.01ML solution X (1L/1000mL solution) X 2g stearic acid/1L solution
= 2 x 10^-5 g

1b)The density of stearic acid is 0.9408g/mL. What will be the volume of stearic acid left from the drop of solution when all the acetone is evaporated?

Solution:

.00002g stearic acid X (1mL/0.9408g stearic acid) X (1L/1000mL)
= 2 x 10^-8 L

These are the best solutions I could come up with but I have a feeling both are incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.
Both look fine.

Thank You!

1. What is stearic acid and why is it used?

Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid that is commonly found in animal and vegetable fats. It is used in a variety of industries, including cosmetics, food, and pharmaceuticals, as an emulsifier, stabilizer, and lubricant.

2. What are some common problems associated with stearic acid?

Some common problems associated with stearic acid include its tendency to solidify at room temperature, causing difficulties in processing and handling, as well as its potential to form soap scum and cause clogging in pipes and drains.

3. How can stearic acid problems be solved?

Stearic acid problems can be solved through various methods, such as using emulsifiers to prevent solidification, controlling temperature during processing, and using appropriate cleaning agents to prevent soap scum buildup.

4. Are there any health concerns associated with stearic acid?

Stearic acid is generally considered safe for consumption and topical use. However, excessive intake or exposure may lead to potential health concerns, such as digestive issues and skin irritation.

5. Can stearic acid be replaced with other substances?

Yes, stearic acid can be replaced with other substances, such as other fatty acids or synthetic alternatives, depending on the specific application and desired properties. It is important to consider the effects and compatibility of the replacement substance before making a switch.