Ethanoic acid and NaOH titration

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the pH at half titration of acetic acid. The individual attempting the problem begins by calculating the concentration of acetic acid remaining after 50% has been neutralized. However, they then realize that the presence of acetate ions must also be considered. Using this new information, they are able to correctly calculate the pH at half titration using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 5.12.39 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If 50% of the acid has been neutralised, then there is 0.05 M of acetic acid left.Using Ka
$$ 1.8*10^-5 = \frac {x^2}{0.05-x} $$
I get x = 0.00094
-log(0.00094) =3.02687 =pH
This is not one of the answers provided. I think I interpreted the question wrong. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't ignore acetate presence.

Hint: at half titration [CH3COOH] = [CH3COO-]

Likes TT0
I see, then the equilibrium is:

$$ 1.8*10^{-5} = \frac {(0.05+x)*x} {0.05-x}$$

Therefore, pH = 4.74

Answer is B.

Thanks again!

Much easier to solve using Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Not to mention the fact you should remember at half titration pH=pK.

Likes TT0
I see, thanks a lot!

TT0 said:
If 50% of the acid has been neutralised, then there is 0.05 M of acetic acid left.Using Ka
$$ 1.8*10^-5 = \frac {x^2}{0.05-x} $$
I get x = 0.00094
-log(0.00094) =3.02687 =pH
This is not one of the answers provided. I think I interpreted the question wrong. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

Cheers!

If you had written the equation for the equilibrium constant out explicitly in terms of chemical species you would probably not gone wrong in the way you did.

Likes TT0

1. What is the purpose of titrating ethanoic acid with NaOH?

Titrating ethanoic acid with NaOH allows for the determination of the concentration of the ethanoic acid solution. This is important for many laboratory experiments and industrial processes that require precise measurements of acid concentration.

2. How does the titration process work?

The titration process involves adding a known concentration of NaOH to a measured volume of ethanoic acid solution. The reaction between the two chemicals results in a neutralization reaction and the formation of water and a salt. By carefully monitoring the amount of NaOH added, the endpoint of the reaction can be determined, allowing for the calculation of the concentration of the ethanoic acid solution.

3. What is the role of indicators in ethanoic acid and NaOH titration?

Indicators are substances that change color at specific pH levels. In the case of ethanoic acid and NaOH titration, an indicator is used to signal when the endpoint of the reaction has been reached. This is typically when the solution turns a specific color, indicating that all of the ethanoic acid has been neutralized.

4. How is the concentration of ethanoic acid calculated from the titration data?

The concentration of ethanoic acid can be calculated using the formula: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the concentration of NaOH, V1 is the volume of NaOH used, C2 is the concentration of ethanoic acid, and V2 is the volume of ethanoic acid used. By plugging in the known values, the concentration of ethanoic acid can be determined.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when performing ethanoic acid and NaOH titration?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when performing this titration. Both ethanoic acid and NaOH are corrosive chemicals and should be handled with care. Protective gloves and goggles should be worn at all times. Additionally, proper ventilation should be ensured to prevent the buildup of harmful fumes. Lastly, be sure to properly dispose of any leftover chemicals and clean up any spills immediately.