Calculate Rack Displacement for Rack & Pinion Steering

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a rack and pinion steering system and the difficulties in finding rack displacement and tie rod length. The suggested approach is to calculate the circular pitch of the gear and multiply it by the number of teeth to determine the travel of the rack. However, there may be additional considerations and assumptions necessary in the design process.
Reddy
Hii,
I am designing a rack and pinion steering system .I have strucked in finding 1)rack displacement,2)tie rod length.
The inputs that I have inner and outter wheel lock angles,turning radius,lock to lock turns,steering ratio. If I get rack displacement,I can get steering arm length.so how to find rack displacement. And I don't have any info about pinion and rack.
How to proceed to design rack and pinion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest you to take the circular pitch of thehttp://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?toolid=10029&campid=CAMPAIGNID&customid=CUSTOMID&catId=220&type=2&ext=191589449302&item=191589449302 gear then multiply it by the number of teeth which gives you the travel of the rack for one revolution of the gear. Beware of the units.If you have the travel you need, do it backwards to calculate the rack and pinion.
I guess that is it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply,
I can't assume simply, ryt?there should be valuable reason behind assumption.on what basis I can assume if I suppose to assume rack displacement?

Reddy said:
Thanks for reply,
I can't assume simply, ryt?there should be valuable reason behind assumption.on what basis I can assume if I suppose to assume rack displacement?

You either have to have the gear you want to use, or the displacement you need plus how many turns of the gear you want the total displacement to happen to calculate the pitch, then the gear. I'm not sure if I've made myself clear.

Likes billy_joule

1. How do I calculate rack displacement for rack & pinion steering?

The formula for calculating rack displacement is: Rack Displacement = (Steering Wheel Angle) x (Rack Length) / (2 x Pinion Pitch Diameter)

2. What is the purpose of calculating rack displacement for rack & pinion steering?

Calculating rack displacement allows for proper adjustment and alignment of the steering system, ensuring smooth and efficient operation of the vehicle.

3. What is the rack length in the calculation for rack displacement?

The rack length is the distance between the inner and outer tie rod ends on the steering rack.

4. How do I measure the steering wheel angle for the calculation?

The steering wheel angle can be measured using a protractor or by counting the number of turns from lock-to-lock while the steering wheel is turned.

5. Is it necessary to recalculate rack displacement when replacing the steering rack?

Yes, it is important to recalculate rack displacement when replacing the steering rack as the new rack may have different dimensions and require different adjustments for proper operation.