Stephan's Law: Net Power Loss/Gain Through Radiation

• Thread starter Godwin Kessy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for net power loss or gain through radiation, which is represented by the equation Power net=EKA(T4-To4). The variables in the equation are defined as follows: Power net is the net power loss or gain through radiation, E is the emissivity of a body, K is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, A is the surface area of the radiating body, T is the temperature of the body, and T0 is the temperature of the surrounding. It is also mentioned that in thermal equilibrium, the absorptivity must equal the emissivity, and that the Stefan-Boltzmann law and grey body emissive power can be used to calculate heat transfer between blackbodies. The conversation
Godwin Kessy
He says that Power net=EKA(T4-To4)
Where Power net= net power loss or gain through radiation
E- Emmisivity of a body
K- Stefans constant
A-Surface Area of the radiating body
T-Temperature of a body
T0- Temperature of the surrounding

And Power net=Power gained - Power loss

Now a question!
How can we say that heat gained by the body is also given by the emissivity of the body and its surface area while its the surrounding that's radiating to the body!
What I mean is, we where supposed to use the emissivity of the surrounding etc...

Science news on Phys.org
Godwin Kessy said:
He says that Power net=EKA(T4-To4)
Where Power net= net power loss or gain through radiation
E- Emmisivity of a body
K- Stefans constant
A-Surface Area of the radiating body
T-Temperature of a body
T0- Temperature of the surrounding

And Power net=Power gained - Power loss

Now a question!
How can we say that heat gained by the body is also given by the emissivity of the body and its surface area while its the surrounding that's radiating to the body!
What I mean is, we where supposed to use the emissivity of the surrounding etc...

If the object is in thermal equilibrium, the absorptivity must equal the emissivity (otherwise the object would heat up/cool down indefinitely). So if the emissivity is E, the absorptivity also equals E. (This assumes the object in question can be approximated as a blackbody, which conserves energy in the way I just described - in general, the emissivity is less than the absorptivity).

I think the question that you're asking is why you aren't using the properties of the surroundings in your equation for net radiative heat transfer, so that is what I will try to address.

To begin with, the Stefan-Boltzmann law defines the blackbody emissive power by

[tex] [1]\ \ E=\sigma T^{4}[/tex],​

Grey body emissive power can be defined as

[tex][2]\ \ E=\epsilon \sigma T^{4}[/tex],​

and heat transfer between blackbodies i and j is

[tex][3]\ \ q= \sigma A_{i} F_{ij} \left(T_{i}^{4}-T_{j}^{4}\right)[/tex]​

However, you can't just add an [tex]\epsilon[/tex] to the last equation and say it is for grey body heat transfer, as you seem to be alluding to. When absorptivity is less than one, reflections become an issue which make things a bit more complicated. For two enclosed surfaces (or surfaces forming an enclosure) the heat transfer is defined by

[tex][4]\ \ q=\frac{\sigma \left(T_{i}^{4}-T_{j}^{4}\right)}{\frac{1-\epsilon_{i}}{\epsilon_{i} A_{i}}+\frac{1}{A_{i}F_{ij}}+\frac{1-\epsilon_{j}}{\epsilon_{j} A_{j}}} [/tex]​

You can see that when the emissivities are 1 this becomes the above equation for blackbodies.

--------------------

q - heat transfer
E - emissive power
A - surface area
[tex]\sigma[/tex] - Stefan-Boltzmann constant
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] - emissivity
F - view factor
subscripts i and j - for objects i and j

EDIT:
The equation

[tex][5]\ \ q= \epsilon_{i} \sigma A_{i} F_{ij} \left(T_{i}^{4}-T_{j}^{4}\right)[/tex]​

will work for the case where an object (i) is in a very large enclosure (j). When [tex]A_{i}/A_{j}\approx 0[/tex] equation [4] reduces to equation [5]. This is because the enclosure is acting as a cavity in which almost all its radiation is going to itself so multiple reflections will eventually be re-absorbed making it act like a true blackbody. If you ever get to try out an IR camera the cavity effect is an interesting phenomenon that is easy to find.

Last edited:

Related to Stephan's Law: Net Power Loss/Gain Through Radiation

1. What is Stephan's Law?

Stephan's Law, also known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits.

2. What is the formula for calculating net power loss/gain through radiation?

The formula for calculating net power loss/gain through radiation is P = σεA(T14 - T24), where P is the net power loss/gain, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, ε is the emissivity of the object, A is the surface area of the object, T1 is the temperature of the object, and T2 is the temperature of the surroundings.

3. How is Stephan's Law related to the greenhouse effect?

Stephan's Law is related to the greenhouse effect because it explains how thermal radiation is emitted from the Earth's surface and absorbed by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, causing the Earth's temperature to increase.

4. Can Stephan's Law be applied to all objects?

Yes, Stephan's Law can be applied to all objects as long as they have a temperature above absolute zero and emit thermal radiation.

5. How does Stephan's Law affect climate change?

Stephan's Law is an important factor in understanding climate change as it helps scientists calculate the net power gain of the Earth due to the increase in greenhouse gases. This law also helps explain why the Earth's temperature is rising and how it will continue to rise if greenhouse gas emissions are not reduced.