Solving Stick on a Table: Generalized Forces

• Thread starter amjad-sh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the stick has two degrees of freedom- the angular velocity and the displacement along the x-axis. The impulse which is perpendicular to the end of the stick which is responsible for the rotation is also responsible for the linear motion of the stick along its direction.
amjad-sh

Homework Statement

A stick of length L and mass m lies on a frictionless table.A force parallel to the table top,[itex] \vec{F} [/itex],is applied to one end of the stick for a very short time [itex]\int F \, dt[/itex][itex]=[/itex][itex]\vec{I}[/itex],the"impulse".Choose a convenient set of two generalized coordinates.Interms of your choices of generalized coordinates,what are the generalized forces when [itex]\vec{F}[/itex][itex]\neq[/itex] 0?What is the subsequent motion of the stick?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{d(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}})}{dt}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=0 [/itex]
where L is the Lagrangian of the system L=T-V.
[itex]\sum_{i=0}^M \vec F_{i}\cdot \frac{\partial \vec r_{i}}{\partial q_{k}}=f_{k}[/itex]
where [itex]f_{k}[/itex] is the generalized force and [itex]\vec F_{i}[/itex] are the non-constraint forcesand[itex]q_{k}[/itex] is the generalized coordinate.

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually I couldn't obtain 2 degrees of freedom.I think they must be 3,which are θ,Φand z.
But I supposed that θ is fixed.So the degrees of freedom are now "z" and "Φ".
z isthe distance between the origin O and the lower end of the stick. Φ is the angle between the stick and z as shown in the figure below.
[itex]d\vec r_{i}=(z-dl\ cos\phi)\vec e_{r}+{dl}\ sin\phi\vec e_{\theta}[/itex]
and [itex]\vec {r}=(z-l\cos\phi)\vec e_{r}+l\sin\phi\vec e_{\theta}[/itex]
I reached here, and then I didn't know how to proceed.
Any hints?

Attachments

• 20151123_153922.jpg
    20151123_153922.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
There are only two degrees of freedom.
I suggest you consider the stick's center of gravity.

.Scott said:
There are only two degrees of freedom.
I suggest you consider the stick's center of gravity.

Do you mean to consider the stick as a point mass which is the center of gravity, so the degrees of freedom will reduce to "z" and "θ" ?
But in analytical mechanics we deal with the system as a whole, so we should consider all the parts of the system.

Once the impulse is over, what will be the motion of the stick? Answering this will give you both what the origin should be (see .Scott's hint) and why there are only two relevant coordinates.

Likes amjad-sh
amjad-sh said:
Do you mean to consider the stick as a point mass which is the center of gravity, so the degrees of freedom will reduce to "z" and "θ" ?
But in analytical mechanics we deal with the system as a whole, so we should consider all the parts of the system.
Say the ends of the stick are at (x,y) = (-1,0) and (+1,0), the impulse is applied to (-1,0) and the center of gravity (COG) is at (0,0). Tell me what the impulse vector would need to be to sent the stick's COG in the +y direction.

Likes amjad-sh
DrClaude said:
Once the impulse is over, what will be the motion of the stick? Answering this will give you both what the origin should be (see .Scott's hint) and why there are only two relevant coordinates.
.Scott said:
Say the ends of the stick are at (x,y) = (-1,0) and (+1,0), the impulse is applied to (-1,0) and the center of gravity (COG) is at (0,0). Tell me what the impulse vector would need to be to sent the stick's COG in the +y direction.

I guess I got the solution.
Let [itex]O[/itex] be the the origin of the edge of the table and [itex]O_{1}[/itex] be the origin of the movable reference frame [itex]O_1\vec i_{1}j_{1}[/itex].
[itex]O_{1}[/itex] is the initial position of COG of the stick,so [itex]\overrightarrow {OO}_{1}[/itex] is a fixed vector.
The impulse acting on the stick is divided into two parts;
⇒ The impulse which is perpendicular to the end of the stick which is responsible for the rotation.
⇒The impulse which is along the direction of the stick and this impulse is responsible for the linear motion of the stick along its direction.

Now let [itex]x_{1}[/itex] be the coordinate of COG along the direction [itex]\vec i_{1}[/itex] which is a movable coordinate rotating with angular velocity[itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] which is the angular velocity of the stick and[itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the stick and [itex]\vec X[/itex].I note that O is the origin of the fixed reference frame [itex]O\vec X\vec Y[/itex].

So [itex]\vec R[/itex] (the position vector of the cog of rod)=[itex]\overrightarrow {OO}_{1}+x_{1}cos\phi\vec X +x_{1}sin\phi\vec Y[/itex].
so I can see here that the two coordinates [itex]x_{1}\thinspace and\thinspace\phi[/itex] are enough to determine the whole configuration of the system.

Attachments

• 20151125_121552.jpg
    20151125_121552.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

What is "Solving Stick on a Table: Generalized Forces"?

"Solving Stick on a Table: Generalized Forces" is a problem in classical mechanics that involves determining the forces acting on a stick that is resting on a table and may or may not be attached to other objects.

Why is this problem important in science?

This problem is important in science because it helps us understand the concept of generalized forces, which are used to describe the overall effect of multiple forces acting on a system. It also allows us to apply the principles of mechanics to real-world scenarios.

What are the key steps in solving this problem?

The key steps in solving this problem include drawing a free-body diagram of the stick, identifying all the forces acting on the stick, applying Newton's second law of motion to each component of the stick, and using the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

What are the assumptions made in solving this problem?

Some common assumptions made in solving this problem include assuming that the stick is in static equilibrium, neglecting the effects of air resistance or friction, and assuming that the stick is a rigid body with no bending or deformation.

How does this problem relate to other areas of science?

This problem is closely related to other areas of science, such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can also be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as analyzing the stability of structures, designing bridges or buildings, and studying the behavior of materials under different forces.