1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoichiometry and reactions

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    HELP! I've been having problems with Chemistry the past semester and a half, but stoichiometry is the hardest thing yet. Here's the problem:

Aluminum oxide is formed from the reaction of metallic aluminum with oxygen gas. How many moles of Aluminum are needed to form 3.4 moles of Aluminum oxide?

I've looked around the site and found a thread on it, but it didn't help me completely. So far, I have the balanced equation: 4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3. The ratio is 4/3, but where do I go from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2
    Have you ever used factor labeling before? It is also known as dimensional analysis.

http://www.bcpl.net/~kdrews/factorlabel.html

using this idea you can convert the units of 3.4 moles of aluminum oxide to aluminum using the ratio 4 moles of aluminum/ 2 moles of aluminum oxide. (In otherwords for each mole of aluminum oxide you wish to create you need 2 of aluminum)

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ratio of 4/3 is not the one you are asked about.

If 4 moles of Al gives 2 moles of oxide, how many moles of Al (x) are needed to produce 3.4 mole of oxide?

4:2 = x:3.4

Solve for x.

Read about stoichiometric calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?