Stokes' law and frictional force

In summary, the student is seeking help with understanding the proof of Stokes's law, the Poiseuille equation, and the inter-relation of elastic constants in Mechanics of Continuous Media for an upcoming exam. They have a good understanding of other undergraduate physics topics but do not have enough time to go through the whole of fluid dynamics. They have found the proof of these equations to be more general than expected and are grateful for the textbook "Physical Fluid Mechanics" by D.J Tritton. However, they have not received direct help from this conversation.
anooop

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for frictional force
acting on a spherical objects of radius R
moving with velocity V
in a continuous viscous fluid of fluid's viscosity η .

Homework Equations

please do not use dimension analysis to prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
anooop said:

Homework Statement

Derive an expression for frictional force
acting on a spherical objects of radius R
moving with velocity V
in a continuous viscous fluid of fluid's viscosity η .

Homework Equations

please do not use dimension analysis to prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to Physics Forums.

As per the forum guidelines, we can only help you with your homework if you have provided an acceptable attempt yourself.

Show us what you have so far and we'll help you.

Apart from "Mechanics of Continuous Media",i have good understanding of other undergraduate physics topics as well.
I do not have enough time to go through the whole of fluid dynamics.
i want to know only 3 things in Mechanics of Continuous Media fo my exam.
(a) proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation,elastic constants and their inter-relation.
please help with these topics.

anooop said:
Apart from "Mechanics of Continuous Media",i have good understanding of other undergraduate physics topics as well.
I do not have enough time to go through the whole of fluid dynamics.
i want to know only 3 things in Mechanics of Continuous Media fo my exam.
(a) proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation,elastic constants and their inter-relation.
please help with these topics.
Then I suggest you look through your lecture notes and textbooks. You will not be spoon fed answers here. However, if you are willing to put some effort in, we are more than happy to help you.

NOw i know the proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation.
I never believed that the proof would be such a general one(u only need to know Newton's law).
All book except one(physical fluid mechanics by d.j tritton)were providing proof after digging into 100s of pages of fluid dynamics .
thanks D.J TRITTON
thanks you as well, even for not helping me.

NOw i know the proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation.
I never believed that the proof would be such a general one(u only need to know Newton's law).
All book except one(physical fluid mechanics by d.j tritton)were providing proof after digging into 100s of pages of fluid dynamics .
thanks D.J TRITTON
thanks you as well, even for not helping me.

Related to Stokes' law and frictional force

1. What is Stokes' law?

Stokes' law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the frictional force acting on a small spherical object moving through a fluid at a constant velocity and the fluid's viscosity and the size and velocity of the object.

2. How does Stokes' law relate to the motion of particles in a fluid?

Stokes' law states that the frictional force acting on a particle in a fluid is directly proportional to the particle's velocity and the fluid's viscosity, and inversely proportional to the particle's radius. It also states that the frictional force must be equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the particle for it to move at a constant velocity.

3. What is the significance of Stokes' law in fluid dynamics?

Stokes' law is important in fluid dynamics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of small particles in a fluid, such as in sedimentation or the motion of microscopic organisms. It also provides a way to measure the viscosity of a fluid.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the frictional force according to Stokes' law?

According to Stokes' law, the frictional force acting on an object is directly proportional to its size and shape, specifically its radius. This means that smaller and more streamlined objects will experience less frictional force compared to larger and more irregularly shaped objects.

5. Can Stokes' law be applied to all types of fluids?

Stokes' law is most accurate for low Reynolds number fluids, which are fluids with slow-moving particles. It is commonly used for liquids, such as water and oil, but can also be applied to gases at low velocities. For high Reynolds number fluids, other equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equation, are more appropriate.