Stored magnetic energy of solenoid

In summary, The second integral represents the total energy given by the magnetic field, where the space is split into regions X and Y. The integral over Y is simplified by using the vector calculus identity and Ampere's equation, and the boundary ∂Y can be split into two contributions. The alphabet A is used for the vector potential A which generates the magnetic field.
Szecska8
TL;DR Summary
In my electrodynamics class there was a problem where self-inductance was calculated from the stored magnetic energy of the solenoid, which was calculated with the equation below.
Screenshot (62).png

Can someone explain to me what the second integral represents and what is A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually alphabet A is used for vector potential which generates magnetic field,
[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{A}=\mathbf{B}[/tex]

Likes Szecska8
The answer I got on reddit, that helped me understand it.

The total energy is given by

(1/2μ_0)∫B2dV

where the integral is taken over all space. Let us now split the space into a region X which contains the solenoid, and a region Y which is everything else. We can now write the integral as

∫B2dV=∫_X B2dV + ∫_Y B2dV

If you start from the vector calculus identity

∇•(AxB)=B•(∇xA)-A•(∇xB)

then insert the definition

∇xA=B

and Ampere’s equation

∇xB=μ_0j

which will be valid assuming static fields, you get

∇•(AxB)=B2-μ_0Aj

Outside the solenoid where there is zero current this simplifies to just

∇•(AxB)=B2

so by Gauss’ theorem we must have

∫_Y B2dV=∮_∂Y (AxB)•dS

Now the boundary ∂Y can be split into two contributions. The first is the boundary at infinity which does not contribute to the integral because the fields decay to zero sufficiently quickly. The second is the boundary shared with region X. This is exactly the same as the boundary of X with the exception that on ∂X the unit normal is oriented in the opposite direction since unit normals always point outwards. Thus

∮_∂Y (AxB)•dS=-∮_∂X (AxB)•dS

and therefore

∫B2dV=∫_X B2dV -∮_∂X (AxB)•dS

Likes TSny and vanhees71

1. What is the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid?

The stored magnetic energy of a solenoid is the amount of energy that is stored in the magnetic field created by the solenoid.

2. How is the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid calculated?

The stored magnetic energy of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy, L is the inductance of the solenoid, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid?

The stored magnetic energy of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the current flowing through the solenoid.

4. How is the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid used?

The stored magnetic energy of a solenoid is used in many applications, such as inductors in electronic circuits, electromagnets, and electric motors.

5. Can the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid be increased?

Yes, the stored magnetic energy of a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the strength of the magnetic field, or increasing the current flowing through the solenoid.